Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my finds from the past week. The 1942 quarter and the 1904 IHP are from my neighbor's yard. The rest of the finds are from the site of an old tavern that was in operation from 1830 to 1862. I have been finding buttons and large cents in this area for years, but recently started looking across the road and have been finding some stuff related to the tavern as well as circa 1920 coins. Last time there I found an 1827 LC, and two fatty IHPs 1860 and 1863 along with a 1917 SLQ and some early wheats.

Here is a picture of the tavern/inn I got from the property owner along with the tavern keeper and his wife. The tavern stood at a intersection of two roads.
Tavern.jpg Mr & Mrs.jpg

Here are my recent finds. Nothing outstanding, but still fun digging.
All.JPG Coins n Buttons.JPG

In the top left there is what I'm pretty sure is a bridal rosette, it has a lead filled back, but I have never seen one with this type of attachment device. Here is a picture of the back.
Rosette.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 27

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent research, site, and finds Steve! Congrats on the great week. Look forward to seeing more from the tavern location -- sounds like a dream spot to exhaust! :occasion14:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like your homeowork really paid off. Very nice finds. Congrats! :thumbsup:

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve... congrats on the finds! You have a great location there...and wonderful history. The item in the upper left corner is actually a pendulum for a shelf clock. The slot is for a looped wire that allowed the pendulum to be moved slightly up and down for adjusting the clock time.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve... congrats on the finds! You have a great location there...and wonderful history. The item in the upper left corner is actually a pendulum for a shelf clock. The slot is for a looped wire that allowed the pendulum to be moved slightly up and down for adjusting the clock time.

Thanks! That makes sense :thumbsup:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great location and some very cool finds!! Congrats on those beauties! :occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some of those finds may be old hat to you but there are a lot of guys out there that would be thrilled to no end to have those to show as their finds. gotta love finding the relics too. great post and pics

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the pretty darn great finds!

-- Jeff --

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's really cool that you not only have a picture of the old building, but also the owners! I'm usually just chasing a dot in the old map. Great collection of coins and buttons from that site. Congrats!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be very happy with a hunt like that!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing outstanding? They look pretty outstanding to me. Nice bunch of coins and other finds, Congrats

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!! WTG, nicely done ! Congrats and HH

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great location and the awesome finds.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent research, site, and finds Steve! Congrats on the great week. Look forward to seeing more from the tavern location -- sounds like a dream spot to exhaust! :occasion14:
The area has been good to me. There are actually two taverns on the farm. This is the later one. The earlier one was in operation from the 1790s till about 1830 an has produced a couple hundred buttons, a lot of coppers , Spanish silver, and even a draped bust dime. The later one has only produced one period silver, and 1842 dime. I believe a lot of stuff is under a parking lot.

Some of those finds may be old hat to you but there are a lot of guys out there that would be thrilled to no end to have those to show as their finds. gotta love finding the relics too. great post and pics
Thanks, I like digging anything that is Civil War and older, and in particular colonial relics and coins, but I won't thumb my nose at 20th century silver.

It's really cool that you not only have a picture of the old building, but also the owners! I'm usually just chasing a dot in the old map. Great collection of coins and buttons from that site. Congrats!
Well this place is just a dot on a map now. No trace of this tavern is left.

Nothing outstanding? They look pretty outstanding to me. Nice bunch of coins and other finds, Congrats
Thanks, I guess for me an Capped Bust silver or nice military button would have been outstanding.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice hunt and history lesson. I rather be digging than not digging, especially when all your targets have age.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice old coins and relics. :occasion14:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Stevemeister love the old photo and the variety...Now get out there and dig some colonial..

~Blaze~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread