Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I decided to go one step further with the decorative flat button I dug the other day and went at it with some aluminum jelly. I suspected there might be some gilt in the engravings and there was. Figured I better stop at the end result since the jelly will eat good patina too. Thoroughly washed the button, patted it dry on tissue. Gently heated the flat button up then rubbed it on a small brick of Crystalline wax. After the button was soppy with hot wax, gently buffed off the excess with a soft microfiber cloth. Shown is the before and after.

Also shown is a plain pewter button that I dug from the same site. The pewter was crumbling due to a losing battle with time and Pine tree soil. I carefully dusted it dry with a soft loose bristle brush. Then I dropped it into a smaller container of glue solution (70% Elmers white glue and 30% water). I let it soak 48 hours then removed it from the glue solution. I gentle patted off the excess glue with a tissue and let air dry on a piece of plastic. I have found it much easier to find any designs on pewter buttons with this method as well.

fashionb2.jpg

buttons1.jpg

Upvote 3

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button. Always good to see some decoration after digging a lot of pain flat buttons. Congrats and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread