Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been working with new settings on my Etrac for the past week and have pulled a few coins out of places I've hit hard. I went back to a field tonight where I dug several large cents and indians out of in February. We've pulled probably 50 buttons out of the site, but I haven't pulled any kind of a keeper since a bayonet I got in March. Every time I go back it's nothing but lots and lots of iron.

I hit it again tonight with my new settings (4 tone ferrous, fast response off, deep response off) and pulled three buttons (one is in two pieces). The one that has me curious is this beautiful little one that appears to be in pretty darn good shape compared to the other two. The back mark is "Fine Gilt Colour 0473". I've never seen numbers on a backmark (I'm a novice with buttons though, so that doesn't mean much). I'm also wondering if the fact that "Colour" is with the British spelling if it tells anything related to age. This site is certainly old, as the coins I've pulled from there have ranged from 1798 to 1864.

Attachments

• CAM00421[1].jpg
    CAM00421[1].jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well early 1800s is very likely, but I too have not seen numbers like that on a British flat button.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find. I have never seen a number on a flat button. My guess is that it is just a marketing gimmick. Like 'formula 409', etc. it likely doesn't mean anything but just an attempt to make it stand out or they named their gilting process after a number. interesting flat button. dates to late 1700's to early/mid 1800's or so. neat button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread