Buying a new scoop. Should I get 40" or 48" handle???

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Buying a new scoop. Should I get 40" or 48" handle???

I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall. I've used 40 inch handled scoops in the past, and never thought twice about it - the length seemed fine. I've got a nutall all steel (quite heavy) 40 " scoop, and a different brand aluminum scoop that I really like, but the shaft bent a bit down near the basket.

I am planning on ordering a new scoop to have shipped to Cape Cod for my two week vacation there which is coming up towards the end of July. I think I'd like to order a new Nutall scoop with fiberglass handle, but don't know if I should go for the longer handle - 48 inches.

I'd love to hear from some of you out there as to which lenght scoop you prefer and why.

THANKS!!!

Jim

Upvote 0

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Buying a new scoop. Should I get 40" or 48" handle???

If you already have a couple 40" then I would go for the 48" especially because you are 6' 3". I have the diamond with the 40" handle and thought I may have made a mistake but so far it has been okay, but I am 6'.

I don't think with the fiberglass handle a little longer it will make much difference as far as weight and like they say more is usually better....

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The longer the better for me. 48" is the way to go. More leverage and less bending.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Go longer, you can always hold it shorter down the shaft. While your in Cape Cod, stop in and see this gal.
http://capecodmetaldetectors.com/

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Most definitely! Elenore's shop is only a few miles from the house we rent each year, and I always stop in to see her. I got my first Excalibur from her, and have bought several accessories from her since then. She is great!!

Jim

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Ditto- Go 48" I have both andd can't stand to use the shorter one, you have more leverage on the longer one, plus if your in deeper water, you won't have to duck your head under to dig! :thumbsup:

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006

My 2cents ;D, Jim Sandman is right pull the trigger on the long handle it's more about your style of digging and how deep you are then how tall you are just be glad you found a scoop maker that gives you a choice :thumbsup:

Chief don't give Jim any ideas ;D Boys on the East coast think they are clearing the north 40 of tree stumps.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is a lot easier to recover those targets when your 4+ ft deep in the surf when you have a long handle. I have recovered targets when I was 4+ foot deep, only way I could have done that with a 40" scoop would have been if I was under water...............

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000

Defenetly go with the 48" handle. I'm only 5' 10" and I can't stand a short handle. When your in deep water a short handle is useless. If the water is calm I will hunt ,up to my chin boobing on my toes. A 40" handle is made for a midget. :tard: Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions