Buying halves from the coin machine bag?

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pickup bank rolls their own change, except for, I'm assuming, halves, since they never have rolls of halves when I ask. They have boxes from Loomis, so I'm guessing that's where they send their halves off to. I'm also guessing (or probably wishfully thinking) that no one is dumping searched stuff at this bank. So I'm thinking of asking if they'd take the halves bag out of the coin machine and sell me whatever is inside it. Could this work? Do the bags fill (and stop the machine when full) based on weight? Or does the machine keep a running count of how many coins have gone in to each bag? I'm thinking with at least one of the tellers that it wouldn't hurt to at least ask; but I'm curious whether anyone else has tried this and what the outcome has been.

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are normally set to a fixed amount- all the ones I dump at are $1000- not sure they would sell you straight from the bag- guess you could ask- ive only heard when someone was dumping and the teller was changing the bag they saw silver and asked if they could swap some of their coins for ines in the bag- pretty sure they wont let you try and buy any before tye bag is full and they are changing the bag

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, that makes sense. Well, I'll just ask about it, play dumb, and see what I find out. Maybe they'd sell me the bag when it gets full. I'll certainly gain some more info about how the whole cycle works if I ask.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck- some members here have good luck getting bags me not do much-

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If this is a small bank, it is likely that they may pay per bag that they ship out instead of a flat fee. If that is the case, explain to them how it will save them money, and they may sell you a bag once it gets full.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread