Buying some Wheat Pennies (in bulk) from a friend?

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who knows I like collecting coins. He asked me if I woiuld like his pennies and other coins. What Should I offer for the pennies? I realize in bulk, I get about 1.47 wheaties for a pound, face value. doulbe or triple that value?
He also has a few nice silver coins which he would like to unload. I know about the blue book (wholesale values) which in generally about half of the red book is what I may offer for the silver coins. IT the pennies that puzzle me.
Thanks for any input!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
3 - 4 times face is fair depending on how good a friend you two are. I've mentioned before on TNet about my grandfather's hoard that was left to me. Totes and containers filled with wheaties. I've never gone through them as it was too daunting of a task. Recently, I've been offering large lots on eBay. I've been getting 4 to 5 times face. It has already paid off for the one guy. He found a 1924 D in VF.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good price I paid for wheats online was $6 for 6 pounds.

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
All of the stores around here will give you 3 cents a piece. You will be cheating him if you offer less i would think...

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
3.5 cents if he's searched them for rare dates; 4 cents for unsearched.

btw, i think there are 151 coppers in a pound.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread