C.F. Martin Guitar help, Any guitar Gurus? Thank you.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi amigos, it's been a long time since my last post. I found this today leftover from a three house garage sale on same street that started on Fri. Pretty sure the old girl was felt on by many a stranger. No writing on outside, but inside I could faintly make out the CFM
This seems like a beginner guitar due to the guitar diagram. I paid $5. Any guitar Gurus that may be able help with age and style type? Thank, as always, truly appreciated.

Artslinger 20200718_105222.jpg 20200718_105228.jpg 20200718_105233.jpg 20200718_105306.jpg 20200718_105446.jpg 20200718_105449.jpg

Update: I looked inside and see the number 0-18K followed by 53270 20200718_123805.jpg 20200718_123803.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much! I truly appreciate it. I found a set of markings while inspecting it closer. Seems like a label. It is to the bottom by the hole. See additional pics added. Thanks again.

artslinger

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thatā€™s a cool item!

The Martin 0-18K was a small-body flat-top intended for playing Hawaiian music. It was produced in numerous variations between 1918 and 1935 but the serial number gives you the precise year. Yours is from 1933 (serial numbers between 52591 and 55084). As said, the ā€˜Kā€™ indicates it was made from Hawaiian koa wood.

Iā€™ve never seen one with those chord markings on the fretboard and suspect they may have been added after purchase for some user-customisation purpose. Potentially, thatā€™s a valuable guitar in decent playable condition and I think you should try and get it appraised. Unfortunately, if those chord symbols are additions by a user then thatā€™s going to detract significantly from its desirability and value.

slowtruk

Greenie
Feb 1, 2009
South Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, label applied post manufacture for learning purposes. Very collectable guitar, depending on overall condition., originality of hardware, etc.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for the great thorough information regarding style and manufacture date. Let's hope that that addition doesn't decrease its desirability and value. It was truly a lucky score. So many saw it, but must have discarded it as an old generic guitar due to no significant visible markings. :-) Thanks again.

artslinger

RedLeaf

Apr 13, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice, if you call Martin Company they have a historian who can tell you anything you want to know about the instrument. Looks like that had the old style bar frets & needs some TLC to make it playable. I briefly had a 1858 O-28 in it's original coffin case, I spoke w/ Mike Longworth at C.F Martin & answered any questions I had. That one was pre serial number & I had to use an inspection mirror inside the soundhole. Written in Pencil on the soundboard was 8 - 1858 for August 1858 & initials of craftsman. Vintage instruments are getting scarcer as the years go by, excellent find, a piece of American history & a real Treasure : )

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea of value but itā€™s definitely worth more than the $5.00 you paid. Iā€™d buy that all day for $5.00!! Great find! We expect a forum concert sometime soon!!

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never put metal/steel strings on that guitar. only use nylon/gut strings
guytronix.com

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Martin also restores their old guitars, I have taken two to them for repair and restoration. Wasn't all that expensive and increased the value by a couple hundred percent, was well worth it. They also have factory tours and give out the round disc from making the top hole to visitors as a souvenir.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You scored, probably worth several hundred bucks.

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that it has metal strings on it and is the Koa wood, I suspect it was used as a slide guitar originally. That is probably why the chord markings on there as well as a person playing it on his/her lap would be looking straight down onto the fretboard.

Easy way to tell is to see how high the action is set. Look at the guitar from the side and see how high the strings are from the body, a slide guitar would be much higher than that of a finger player.

I don't know about the value, but any old Martin will worth some coin. The body looks to be in good shape, but a neck reset and new frets would cost you several hundred buck, so factor that into the equation if you want to sell it. Any chance it had a case for it as well?

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"The fact that it has metal strings on it and is the Koa wood, I suspect it was used as a slide guitar originally."

The strings on the guitar are not 'metal' although it appears that it has. Nylon/gut strings have the fat E, A and D strings wound nylon cores. If anyone puts steel strings on this guitar will render it damage and severely in need of repair. The metal strings put way more tension/pressure on the guitars beidge, top and neck.
Guytronix Low Watt DIY Guitar Tube Amplifier Kits - Guytronix

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that it has metal strings on it and is the Koa wood, I suspect it was used as a slide guitar originally. That is probably why the chord markings on there as well as a person playing it on his/her lap would be looking straight down onto the fretboard.

Easy way to tell is to see how high the action is set. Look at the guitar from the side and see how high the strings are from the body, a slide guitar would be much higher than that of a finger player.

I don't know about the value, but any old Martin will worth some coin. The body looks to be in good shape, but a neck reset and new frets would cost you several hundred buck, so factor that into the equation if you want to sell it. Any chance it had a case for it as well?

Thanks once again to all for all of your feedback and recommendations/opinions. I appreciate them. I never asked if there was a case. In a way, that was a positive, as there are many people out there that know, Martin guitars as valuable. The case would have given someone a need for a closer look. It would have been great, though.

Artslinger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread