Cabin Fever = Coin Ring Making Time. Heres My First For 2010

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Cabin Fever = Coin Ring Making Time. Here's My First For 2010

napoltwocoins.jpg

I got the exact coin shown above from my local coin dealer just before Christmas. He just gave it to me. Said it's in too bad of shape to sell. After I looked at it, I knew that it would make an easy and nice looking coin ring to craft. You see, it is so old, that is was quite thin, making it easy to burr with my Dremmel tool. And the stamped "NAPOLEON III EMPEREUR" was very legible, so it would still be identifiable on the finished coin ring, provided that I didn't polish it off.

Below is the finished coin ring. Thanks for looking. :)

Attachments

• bparder.jpg
    bparder.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,361

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cabin Fever = Coin Ring Making Time. Here's My First For 2010

Great job! :hello2:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

John, can you tell us how you make these? I have researched it but I cant find your method.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000

Great job. I made my first about this time last year.I used a Walking Lib. half.
Turned out real nice other than it is about a size 16 :icon_scratch:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks great ! I always wanted to try to make one

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

gleaner1 said:
John, can you tell us how you make these? I have researched it but I cant find your method.

Email Western And Eastern Treasures Magazine, and ask them to send you a copy titled "Coin Ring Crafting" by John Bortscher (me), an article which I wrote several years ago. It has photos and explains 2 different ways of making coin rings.

coinringsje2.jpg

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John-Edmonton said:
gleaner1 said:

Email Western And Eastern Treasures Magazine, and ask them to send you a copy titled "Coin Ring Crafting" by John Bortscher (me), an article which I wrote several years ago. It has photos and explains 2 different ways of making coin rings.

I didn't realize you were the author... but I have a pdf copy of your article, if you would like for me to upload it to Mediafire for others to download it....

Bran <><

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

holey cow, you did greatttttttttttt is that first one copper or gold.. sorry the first pix didnt load.. I love the thin band on that one.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used

Bootybay said:
holey cow, you did greatttttttttttt is that first one copper or gold.. sorry the first pix didnt load.. I love the thin band on that one.

Its copper.......

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used

extractor said:
Looks great ! I always wanted to try to make one

Go for it!

sectshun8

Sep 3, 2010
Golden, CO

Really nice work John :notworthy: ... guess all those rings you find weren't enough, had to start making them too :tongue3:

judd

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2010

Making coin rings is not all that hard if you know what you are doing. The problem is that those who know how its done aren't talking. The method they use is not the same as the method they tell you they use. There are a few who know how it's done but fewer who have mastered it. Some times it's better to buy a first class item than waste your time and ruin a good coin in the process. There are several coin ring makers out there, this is one of the better ones. www.thecoinsmith.net He will make you a coin ring out of a coin you supply at a discount. I had him make me one out of a mogran silver dollar I found in an old barn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread