Cabin Fever Hunt ! (fire damaged silver & old button)

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cabin Fever Hunt ! (fire damaged silver & old button)

Hey everyone vp here, I don't know about you guys but I am SICK OF WINTER ALREADY ! we still have snow and it has been bitter cold here in central PA - yeah I'd love to see some 40's or heck EVEN 30's !!

anyway, I for one have cabin fever bigtime, bouncing off the walls here wanting to get out and detect - well today I decided what the heck - it's 19 degrees out, but even if I just get out and swing the detector I'll be happy - I really thought the ground would be frozen solid too but to my surprise in the woods the snow must have insulated it 'cause it was easy diggin !

so I decided to hit an old sawmill site from the 1860's - this site is near the river and is VERY overgrown and honestly has caused me nothing but trouble in the past - i've gotten posion ivy/oak from it everytime i've hit it - so i figured with all the vegitation down and being EXTREMELY careful I'd give it a try - wasn't expecting too much

when I found the silver dime among the iron, I honestly thought it was a penny, all bent up, very dirty and black - it was only after the hunt that I saw the silver peaking thru - the whole way home I'm thinking ok this is probably going to be my first barber dime ! (been detecting for over 20 years and have NEVER found one) but when I looked at it thru the loupe, it was a mercury dime - whew - i really don't want my first barber dime to look like that !

anyway it's silver and after being couped up here for 3 weeks I'LL TAKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the button on the way back to the car, any idea what it is ? it's definately two piece and there is a corroded shank sticking thru on the back - the front is beautiful though - modern quarter is for size

thanks for looking

vp
www.Treasure-Valley.net

Attachments

• cold-hunt01.jpg
    cold-hunt01.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 840
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: Cabin Fever Hunt ! (fire damaged silver & old button)

That poor dime, may it RIP :'(

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

nice stuff vp !!! ya i got cabin fever too. i can almost be certain that your first barber will be in better shape. you can do it buddy!! thAT barber will be coming. willy.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am also sick of winter and the fever grows! Nice hunt and finds, good you got out. HH, Mike

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice button , and im sure you will dig a barber and in better shape then that dime !!!

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The button is a Marine Corp button. The design has been used for a couple hundred years. Being a two piece button dates it from approx 1840 to present. What is the backmark? That would narrow the timeframe down. Good luck on diggin a barber!

Marc

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds Kevin. I'm glad you got some hunt time in. Dang bro...I would have felt your pain with you...if that crumpled critter would have been the barber you've been waiting for ;D
Silver is silver though my friend...so I'd take it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

thanks everyone for the posts - it was just nice to get out !!
and yes I am ever so glad that wasn't a barber dime - heck it's barely a mercury dime :)

take care

vp

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

silverfreak said:
Nice finds Kevin. I'm glad you got some hunt time in. Dang bro...I would have felt your pain with you...if that crumpled critter would have been the barber you've been waiting for ;D
Silver is silver though my friend...so I'd take it :thumbsup:

hey bryce,

yeah - the whole way home i was thinking karma will have this be my first barber dime :)
anyway there's snow on the ground but it looks like it might get into the 40's on friday so I'm gonna give it another try - looking for the "deepies" brother - that's what i'm after

take care,

kevin

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

That is one ugly silver coin there Kevin but it counts toward your 2009 silver total. Congratulations and don't worry, spring will be here before you know it.
Chris

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Hey, Kevin, I'm glad you were able to just get out there and find something.

;D ;D I think it was good that your first barber dime wasn't that brutally deformed Merc! ;D ;D

I found a button exactly like yours two years ago. I was told it was Naval, late 1800's through WWI time era.

Congrats!! Let's see some more!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• naval_button.jpg
    naval_button.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 314
OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
That is one ugly silver coin there Kevin but it counts toward your 2009 silver total. Congratulations and don't worry, spring will be here before you know it.
Chris

hey thanks chris,

first thing i thought about was that deformed/fire damaged Barber half I found last year and I remember you saying the same thing "silver is silver" and you were right i'll take it !!!!

think i'm heading out friday - gonna be 45!!

take care

kevin

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Captn_SE said:
Hey, Kevin, I'm glad you were able to just get out there and find something.

;D ;D I think it was good that your first barber dime wasn't that brutally deformed Merc! ;D ;D

I found a button exactly like yours two years ago. I was told it was Naval, late 1800's through WWI time era.

Congrats!! Let's see some more!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

thanks dan,

hey that's cool you found the same button ! i thought it was navy too but now believe it's Marine - like you said late 1800's to WWI

heading out tomm to a site i'm psyched about - can almost feel that barber dime :)

take care,

kevin

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

i thought it was navy too but now believe it's Marine - like you said late 1800's to WWI

Sorry, Kevin, but I meant to say it was a Marine button. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. :tard: Yeah, Marine, Civil War era to WWI era. Supposedly they were used well after WWI also.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes as Capn SE said, this design was used prior to the Civil War all the way to present. I have two such Marines buttons that are Civil War era. The only way to really tell is by the backmark.....if it is a "SCOVILL Mf''g Co. WATURBURY CT." than its CiviL War era.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions