Found Old Home or Workers Camp - Lots of pics

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I set out again this morning to hit the camping area of our local lake park. I had planned on hitting the picnic tables like I did yesterday. About 10, I got a call from my buddy whom I had called earlier about him taking me to an old homesite he had found on the ridge behind his property. We've been trying to get together but something(like work) has always come up; and to day was no different. He couldn't make it so I asked him to give me some general directions to see if I could find it. I'm pretty familar with the area because we've hiked the ridges and river(Tennessee) since we were young. After getting the directions, I had a good idea where it was. The area used to be where they hauled coal out of the surrounding mountains down to the river to be loaded on barges around the turn of the century. There also used to be homes along the river before TVA built the Chickamauga dam and some of their foundations are still visible when the lake is at winter level. I drove to his house, then set out toward an old cemetary. Before the cementary, there is an old hauling road that goes off the ridge to the river. The propery is in private hands now and the trail has had gravel put on it. After about a mile hike down the road, I reached the lake and headed north towards a concrete marker I was to look for. This turned out to be another mile walk on rough shore line. Along the way, I passed the old foundations. Finally I found the marker but I couldn't find a good place to penetrate the brush to head back up the ridge to the area I was looking for. I set out through the brush, hopeing to break into a clearing, but it wasn't to be. My toboggan caught on branches and thorn vines and the detector caught on vines. Finally after a 200 yard climb, I began to find some rock outcrops that looked to be man-made. I thought I might ought to turn the MD on and sure enough, I began to get iron signals.Lots and lots of iron signals. As I began to explore the area, I tried to get the lay of the land and figure out what I looking at. The land seemed to be terraced with rock walls. Some areas looked like they were dug into the side of the ridge, kind of like rooms. I also found what looked to be a well and another sunken area which could have been where the outhouse could have been. I found a huge broken blue jar like pickled eggs used to come in and another clear broken pitcher with beautiful scroll work on it. I found an old graniteware bucket that was rusted through and some busted Ball mason jars with ceramic in the tops. What I didn't find was any coins or any wood that would normally be associated with a home or building. I didn't get to stay as long as I would have liked but now that I know where it is, I can hunt it at my leisure. I only wish I knew more about how to explore an area like this. It sure looks like there should be some old coins there somewhere. I might put out an sos for an experienced hunter around Chattanooga to go half with me. Enjoy the pics. I had to another post to get all the pics in. Take a look.

Attachments

• Big Ridge Finds 002.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 002.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 705
  • Big Ridge Finds 003.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 003.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 715
  • Big Ridge Finds 004.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 004.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 716
  • Big Ridge Finds 005.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 005.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 713
  • Big Ridge Finds 006.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 006.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 709
  • Big Ridge Finds 007.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 007.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 715
  • Big Ridge Finds 008.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 008.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 705
  • Big Ridge Finds 009.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 009.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 709
  • Big Ridge Finds 010.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 010.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 714
  • Big Ridge Finds 011.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 011.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 714
  • Big Ridge Finds 012.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 012.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 697
  • Big Ridge Finds 013.JPG
    Big Ridge Finds 013.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 701
Upvote 0

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
wow cool site

though u said u didnt find any coins-----looks like a dime to me :P

Cachefinder-

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least you got out for a summer stroll ;D We are frozen in up here in Ohio. I'd be glad to be able to do that. Look forward to some good finds in the future

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
You're probably gonna do very well there. Those places look loaded with potential.
Good Luck!
Mike

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like a great place to do some detecting in. Wish you luck....Matt

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I envy MMonte. Have fun searching and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread