Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still in shock. Never would I believe something like this would happen to me. Did a late evening hunt with a friend from Tnet which only lasted about 45 min. As you can see I only found a mini ball and flat button until I came upon this cache. We both were speechless, good thing she decided to video tonights dig. This is the second cache of coins found on this property mixed in with all the civil war relics. First spill was nothing like this, maybe 10 coins. So walking along the woods edge of a corn field I got this ear blowing signal, pinpointed about 3 ft long but narrow I almost skipped it. At a park with the signal that large I surely would have ignored it. Ended up with a cut finger and 64 silver coins. 1 Morgan dollar, 8 Reale, 12 Halfs, 11 Quarters and 39 dimes. I havnt checked for any key dates and most look to be in good shape. I'm amazed over this 8 Reale, looks to be 1830 Zs. Checked off the bucket list:headbang: Like I said Ive heard stories of people finding caches but never dreamed my coil would get over one. Thanks for looking GL&HH

WP_20170428_20_56_55_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_55_37_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_56_23_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_56_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 147

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhh.... The things dreams are made of.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats definitely a day you won't soon forget. The condition of the coins is amazing too. We get lots of purple / back silvers around here. :headbang:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the stuff dreams are made of! Find of a lifetime!!!! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One helluva find. Congrats and congrats on the banner...

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an amazing find! I see a '16 merc in the photo... Is it a d mint mark?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very few ever uncover a cache of coinage, congrats on your's and the Banner. Hope that the site will produce more life long memory finds.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Area was settled after the Revolution. Before that, people went through there, it's only a couple miles off a major thoroughfare from the time of the French and Indian war, onwards. Did find a couple colonial to early 19th century buttons on the site and a colonial period round ball, as well as a huge brass key. No shoe buckle pieces, no King George II or III coppers, no American coin before about 1850. No Spanish silver. That's what's "missing", if you want to call it that, but I don't think this property was farmed until about 1800. It's on some high ground right outside of a town settled in the 1790's. There are three crossroads within modern rifle shot and line of sight from where we were digging. Evidence of a 1920's house, and probably an earlier house on the property. Also evidence of a barn long gone. The woods is totally polluted with iron, modern bullets, etc. Did find a 19th century pocket watch winder key thingie in the woods.

First time digging last fall, I never expected to find much of anything there, but since the Gettysburg troops were very close nearby (which I found out AFTER we started digging), we started to find dropped minies, a couple eagle buttons, brass whatzits, etc. There are a few early 19th century houses within sight of where we dig, and a decent size creak a golf club swing away.

I haven't researched the previous history much. I have seen the land plat, it doesn't show an old building but it's less than 10 years old. I Looked at the aerial photos of the area and you can see where one building stood at least 50 years ago. Found a few wheaties, I think two Mercs, two Indian cents, one Buffalo nickle, and some recent Lincoln shield cent drops, all in the same area and probably done in the last few months, farmer probably dropped those. Except for the Mercs, the others are toast. We have found an iron "clump" of nails and such in one area of one field. Found another field with huge brass objects, mechanical in nature but broken off other stuff. Don't know what they were. It's going to take years to detect the whole place. The previous owners did NOT like groundhogs, and there are thousands of fired modern bullets in the field. Only have found 1 horseshoe, and it's broken. That's odd. I think they planted it yesterday.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Stuff "Dreams" are made of.

WOW!!!!!!

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Kinda takes the wind out of the next couple hunts, doncha think?

Thank you. Yes I had that thought. I still get excited over digging three ringers. I enjoy reliving that moment in time once an object is recovered. But I get what your saying.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Area was settled after the Revolution. Before that, people went through there, it's only a couple miles off a major thoroughfare from the time of the French and Indian war, onwards. Did find a couple colonial to early 19th century buttons on the site and a colonial period round ball, as well as a huge brass key. No shoe buckle pieces, no King George II or III coppers, no American coin before about 1850. No Spanish silver. That's what's "missing", if you want to call it that, but I don't think this property was farmed until about 1800. It's on some high ground right outside of a town settled in the 1790's. There are three crossroads within modern rifle shot and line of sight from where we were digging. Evidence of a 1920's house, and probably an earlier house on the property. Also evidence of a barn long gone. The woods is totally polluted with iron, modern bullets, etc. Did find a 19th century pocket watch winder key thingie in the woods.

First time digging last fall, I never expected to find much of anything there, but since the Gettysburg troops were very close nearby (which I found out AFTER we started digging), we started to find dropped minies, a couple eagle buttons, brass whatzits, etc. There are a few early 19th century houses within sight of where we dig, and a decent size creak a golf club swing away.

I haven't researched the previous history much. I have seen the land plat, it doesn't show an old building but it's less than 10 years old. I Looked at the aerial photos of the area and you can see where one building stood at least 50 years ago. Found a few wheaties, I think two Mercs, two Indian cents, one Buffalo nickle, and some recent Lincoln shield cent drops, all in the same area and probably done in the last few months, farmer probably dropped those. Except for the Mercs, the others are toast. We have found an iron "clump" of nails and such in one area of one field. Found another field with huge brass objects, mechanical in nature but broken off other stuff. Don't know what they were. It's going to take years to detect the whole place. The previous owners did NOT like groundhogs, and there are thousands of fired modern bullets in the field. Only have found 1 horseshoe, and it's broken. That's odd. I think they planted it yesterday.

Sometime "We just never Know" . What , when ,why or how.

Don't hurt to check tho , other than back pain from getting all the modern lead out.
GL There.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your banner find! What a beautiful pile of old silver coins!!! That's probably a lifetime of finds for me right there and still think I'd probably never see some of the coins in your cache! I can only imagine the excitement you felt, thanks for sharing your awesome find! It's nice to know there are still great things to be found out there!!!

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again thank you EVERYONE for commenting and voting banner. As many of you said this was like a dream. Smokey and I had a blast and its a hunt ill never forget. Making good memories with good people. I'm sure we will be back soon, now calling it the dream site. LOL

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must find gold....must find gold...Actually, I have found 2 gold coins in my metal detecting life, a Spanish and a Mexican. Can't dig an American gold coin, no, can't do that. Can't dig a walker, or a barber half or quarter, or a seated quarter or a capped bust, or even a Morgan or Peace dollar or Franklin or silver Kennedy. Never found ANY of those. I guess I have to get out of the CW and early sites for these. I have hunted parks a few times, but generally speaking, don't like parks. Always have to look over my shoulder. Tried going to park, just got in there, dug may 10 minutes, looked up and saw a coyote and promptly left. I like the open fields.

Now ask me about Rev War, and I'll give you some TRUE stories there! This farm we're on is a total gamble. Got a new permission just now. A road established in 1785 and NEVER DUG and now in the middle of a woods. Yum Yum Yum

When my friend Bob found a gold wedding band in my freakin' front lawn, that made me realize anything was possible.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing hunt
Congratulations

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must find gold....must find gold...Actually, I have found 2 gold coins in my metal detecting life, a Spanish and a Mexican. Can't dig an American gold coin, no, can't do that. Can't dig a walker, or a barber half or quarter, or a seated quarter or a capped bust, or even a Morgan or Peace dollar or Franklin or silver Kennedy. Never found ANY of those. I guess I have to get out of the CW and early sites for these. I have hunted parks a few times, but generally speaking, don't like parks. Always have to look over my shoulder. Tried going to park, just got in there, dug may 10 minutes, looked up and saw a coyote and promptly left. I like the open fields.

Now ask me about Rev War, and I'll give you some TRUE stories there! This farm we're on is a total gamble. Got a new permission just now. A road established in 1785 and NEVER DUG and now in the middle of a woods. Yum Yum Yum

When my friend Bob found a gold wedding band in my freakin' front lawn, that made me realize anything was possible.

Sounds like fun. Lets get to it LOL

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I got. Was too busy freaking out and trying to operate the camera. IMG_0264.JPG Didn't realize one Barber had a hole in it. Just washed them up today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions