Cache hunting again today...FOUND ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back out cache hunting again today. The story goes the crazy old guy who lived here from 1920-1960 loved to stash stuff everywhere. Last trip I pulled the KKK token in the woods out back too...so this guy was into way more than fixing cars and burying loot...

Well, get out there this morning and the woods are soggy, nasty mess...then it starts pouring AGAIN. So we turn our attention to the outbuildings. Fortunately for us, the current owner has granted us full acess to everything...we did give the buildings a quick check awhile back and did find a hidey-hole under a trap door in the floor. EMPTY of course, by very cool evidence the stories could be true.

Then Bruce notices something odd in the back of the barn...an extra cinder block mortared into place on top of a wall. It served no purpose either structural or decorative. Passed IDX over the block and get a loud clear tone...something DEFFINATELY in there...

Maybe the extra block was for lag bolt or something, always run into those in buildings...BUT the top to this one was open, the tops of all the other blocks were covered with concrete. Reach in the holes in the center of the block, left hole filled with dirt...right hole was empty.

I'm really trying NOT to get my hopes up at this point...

Found a spoon to start to dig the dirt out of the block...which was above my head on the wall. Then I hit something solid. Reach my hand in and there's BOX.

HOLY F****** Dude there's something in here, Bruce reaches into the hole and his eyes get real wide "Oh Boy."

Have to dig a little more to loosen up box...ofcourse, by now you KNOW what I'm thinking!

Double eagles, come on double eagles....

Finally free the small orange box...

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,394
Upvote 0
OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bruce mugging with our treasure...

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,391
OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Right already...what's the stupid BOX!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,394
OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CAR PARTS.

Crazy old dude placed these in a hole in the wall and buried them!

More stashes to found for sure! Totally exciting hunt, absolutely LOVE hunts like this...that moment of realizing there's a box hidden in the wall? PRICELESS.

Tell me little orange box hidden in the wall didn't get you going for a minute TOO :-)

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bro...THIS is why I hunt...that amazing moment of discovery.

Sure, it was just a box of car parts (though I bet the fine condition and age could bring a few bucks on ebay)...but it's not really about the content of treasure all the time...it's about the HUNT...and this hunt rocked :icon_cheers:

More to come...

christ-first

Mar 20, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
o.k..........you had me going pretty good with that one. i even found my self scrolling through the pictures real slow just to surprise myself. you ought to be ashamed ;D :D ;D :D ;D :Dgood story though :thumbsup:

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry just COULDN'T resist :-) I wanted to try to share the absolute thrill of the moment...

This is something I starting working on more seriously last year...trying to locate items that had been hidden on purpose, instead of just the stuff lost unknowingly.

I'm looking for the jar of coins, obviously, but I find all items stashed away on purpose ENDLESSLY fascinating. (Old "treasures" not geocaches or whatever)

This is only my 2nd purposefully stashed item recovered...the other is a "lucky" bullet (old hunters in a particular area used to stash coins or bullets in a particular spot for good luck on the hunt...another weird cool story to track down) I know, no "great" value in themselves, well not to anyone but me, just such a great adventure to try to track down the stories like this.

axehead

Feb 24, 2007
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
man, I bet those main bearings are priceless!!! if not the story is!!!!! WOW, you had me until the pics.
Better luck next time.

axehead

DFXED

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2008
Man that would have given me a total thrill and some let down . You just nevr know it could have been some real treasure .

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in before the iron oxidation sets in

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
Those are rare Monmouth CX54-A2 bearings. Probably date from the late '30s. Better send them off to get graded and slabbed. Don't clean them. Nice find.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
One mans junk is another mans...treasure.... LOL

Bet that was exciting for a while.... till you opened the box.

Nice story, thanks for sharing it.

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread