Greenie
Apr 11, 2006
Parker, Colorado
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[RingmanGS
I have been metal detecting for about 20 years, but want to expand into cache hunting. I have been looking at 2 box machines, but know nothing about them. Could I get some opinions on what two box machines people in this forum are using and why you think the one you use is best?
Ringmangs
For twe boxs, go "Discovery", best buy for money and sensitivity.

Till Euenspiegle de La Mancha

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about heavy duty cache hunting, but I have seen several favorable posts regarding the Garrett 2500 and the two box adapter. This seems to be the poor mans way of hunting where you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to reach a depth of 15 to 20 feet. Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty is right about the Garrett and a two box setup. It is deep for metal objects the size of a pistol and larger. Some PI machines are very deep but don't compare to a 2 box. The older Garrett ADS with a Two box also work very well and I still have mine.

OP
OP
RingmanGS

RingmanGS

Greenie
Apr 11, 2006
Parker, Colorado
Thanks for all the input. I currently use a Whites XLT so I was looking at the Whites TM 808, any input on the Whites TM 808?

I looked at the Discovery and the Garrett. I kinda like the Garrett. The GTI 2500 with TreasureHound EagleEye Coil would give me the 2 box plus a back up detector.

How deep are most cache found, like jars or boxes of coins? Would my XLT go deep enough for them or would you still recommend a 2 box machine?

RingmanGS

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Ringman,

The White's TM808 is the same as the Discovery TF900 - Discovery made them both. Either are better than the Gemini.

As far as depth, you should be able to find a jar/box of coins with a regular detector. Most caches of that nature were buried within reach up to your elbow. But you'll be all day digging up every signal with a regular detector. The advantage of a two box or pulse induction loop detector is that you can ignore the smaller signals and find only the larger objects. This makes for faster searching when cache hunting.

Sandman, what do you mean when you say a pulse induction doesn't compare to a two box? I own both and I would much prefer my pi unit than my TF900. There are less false signals. I was just curious about your thoughts.

fyi, two box summary from the old forum here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/metaldetecting/messages/1041031.shtml

All the best,
Darren

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
I don't mean to be a wise guy or something, but why do you really need a two box? Do you really think there is treasure buried 15 or 20 feet deep? Forget about those dreams of finding Blackbeard's treasure. It's a waste of time.

It is probanly true that most caches are buried about one to two feet deep. But any old detector won't find them. I would forget about the XLT for cache hunting. It might possibly find a jar of coins a foot deep. Similarly. the DFX might find something that deep. But you don't want to take a chance on missing a nice cache with those detectors, and they will miss them sometimes. I don't want to make this a commercial, but the best detector for finding caches is the Minelab Explorer, as far as I'm concerned. It won't miss a cache.

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
Hey guys, how about the Garrett CXPlus with the depth multiplier? It's a two box that also works as an excellent cache machine with the coil, right?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JoeMoto
Hey guys, how about the Garrett CXPlus with the depth multiplier? It's a two box that also works as an excellent cache machine with the coil, right?

orthe old Master hunter with the blood hound , correct JOE]

Tropical Tramp

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Years ago I had a SPARK GAP MD. It was a 2 box unit that was very very heavy and took a car battery to operate. The 2 boxes were about 5 feet apart and hunf off a metal rod you carried over your shoulder. I also underatand that this produced Radation and was outlawed. You talk about going deep man did this thing go deep.
Peg Leg

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Peg Leg
Years ago I had a SPARK GAP MD. It was a 2 box unit that was very very heavy and took a car battery to operate. The 2 boxes were about 5 feet apart and hunf off a metal rod you carried over your shoulder. I also underatand that this produced Radation and was outlawed. You talk about going deep man did this thing go deep.
Peg Leg

Geeeze pegger, that would have to be in the 20's

Tropical Tramp

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Tayopa, Spark gaps were made in the twenties and the early 1930s and used up to the fifties by the older guys. KvM had one that he demonstrated at the Shepherds Mall Treasure Shows in the sixties and seventies. To close you can cache hunt with any detector. If you want to better your chances of cache recovery go with the advice that's been posted on this thread. I don't personally use any two box detector for obvious reasons. KvM used and endorsed in this order ... Fisher T-10 BFO; White's Treasure Master BFO; Garrett Master Hunter BFO; Metrotech M-330A two box and then he moved to the newer stuff and I stopped paying attention. Montana Larry Campbell made a major fortune with his Metrotech 220A and I assume but do not know for sure that he also used the 330-A. At the time no one was sending me free detectors and it made more sense to just get the most out of what I had than to chase after the next big thing. exanimo, ss

europe

Greenie
Jun 16, 2006
Hello I come from Europe and I m new on this forum.
I would like to ask you if anyone has a long range metal detector THE RAVEN? If someone has expiriences with it i would be happy to share it with me.What is your oppinion about long range metal detectors?Do they work or its better to buy a two box??
http://www.treasurenow.com/html/TheRaven.html

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Years ago I bought a two box from a company called Hayes Electronics. It is a company in Arizona. Do not remember where. They advertised in the back of W&ET. Don't know if they are still around.

Good well made 2 box at a fair price.

ericwt

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
fleamistress: Mine looks like a Fisher Gememi 3. It is a detector for finding anything metal that it deep.

A lot of people have said that 2 boxes don't work. They are incorrect. They take lots of learning and practice. Plus you must be over a cache to discover it.

bakergeol: I will check out that out. However I know for fact they do work. Fisher has been selling them for over 30 years.

europe

Greenie
Jun 16, 2006
Is here anyone who uses long range metal detector (treasure locator)?
Some people say that these locators are fake....some of them say they are very good.....dont know who to believe ???
I would be glad to help me:D

Regards from Europe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread