Rosewood Caches

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have kept this idea a secret for quite a few years now. I got it after watching the movie "Rosewood." I guess a brief history of the story is in order before the idea:

Rosewood was a small town located near the Gulf Coast of Florida. It was near the present day city of Cedar Key (see map).

I'll give the short story as this is mostly about the loot. Rosewood was a town populated mostly by blacks. The town was unique because the residents were not share croppers or renters. In Rosewood, the black people owned their homes. This might not sound like much now, but in Northern Florida in the twenties, this was quite astonishing. The neighboring town was mostly populated by whites. In 1923 a woman claimed she was raped by a black man (lie). The white men believed her and began a rampage of murdering and lynching that lasted almost a week. All the blacks in town were either run out or killed. The official death toll was 8 (six blacks and two whites). So many people knew entire families were killed. Many of the survivors put the death toll at between 100-150. There were no recriminations against any of the murderers.

Now the idea; since the people were run out at a moments notice, they wouldn't have had time to dig up their caches. The entire town was burned to the ground, and to this day, no town exists there. There are probably many mason jars buried in and around the properties that the owners never had the chance to dig up. A good metal detector may strike it big. Since I'm in SoCal, with no plans to get out there any time soon.......Good Luck!

Mike

Attachments

• rosewood.gif
    rosewood.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,279
  • woodmap.jpg
    woodmap.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 714

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I'm not near enough to Florida to hunt the site, but even if I was I can say that I wouldn't as it would feel a little like hunting a graveyard. Just my two cents.

I don't mean to discourage the posts, I enjoy reading about all of reports of caches, I just wouldn't hunt this one.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever hunted a battlefield? How about hunting for buried Pirate Treasure? What the pirates did to get their booty was just as bad or sometimes worse!

Since I've thought about this for a couple of years now, I've had a chance to figure how I felt about it as well. At first, I was a little creeped out, but after a while, I came to the conclusion that what happened there was horrible. As horrible as it was, I didn't have anything to do with it. And who knows, you may also find things of historical importance that you could donate to the Museum that has a Rosewood Display. There are still people living who have lost their families. You may even find something you could return to a surviving family member. Who knows what is out there under the ground.

Mike

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
No different from the research I have been doing on the Cherry Valley Massacre stories only the people lost scalps as well as everything else.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I believe the town of Rosewood is there. I remember seeing it on a map.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[newtocoinhunting
I'm not near enough to Florida to hunt the site, but even if I was I can say that I wouldn't as it would feel a little like hunting a graveyard.
A) Why? Every buried or lost old coin is the same. Also it is getting to be that there isn't a single part of the world where one would use detectors that doesn't have a death associated with it. So are you going to turn in your detector?

Actually our debt is to the living, not the dead, what remains is no more important, nor is it the person, than the discarded leavings of a haircut, or that tooth that was pulled, or that appendix, etc. Remember, every single cell in the body is replaced every few months, so nothing is ever of the person of last year..

Obviously a formal grave should not be molested, but not from a fear or lack of respect for the deceased, but in that it is an owned piece of property.

We have vastly overplayed what the remains of a deceased person represent, due in part to various functions of society which make their living by formenting this. What actual purpose does a very expensive casket have for a deceased person? None, it is mostly a salve for the conscious of the person purchasing it, or simply an expression to be presented to society.

In my case I look for lost Jesuit mines, successfully. Since ALL are associated with violent death and great suffering, should I simply abandon the ones that I have found and stop searching for the others? Obviously Archaeologists are great sinners (hmm, I tend to agree on this in general heheh).

Most of our modern cities are built upon the graves of many previous people, soo?

k peeps the line forms on the right, coffee and doughnuts will be served, also towells upon request.

Personally, I would advocate looking where you wish - if in the future you see my remains, just say hi and go on looking and good luck.

Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the town of Rosewood is there. I remember seeing it on a map.

A marker,dedicated by then Gov Jeb Bush,it at the site of Rosewood on cr24,just before sr 345.A dirtstrip fly-in community is being built on the old Rosewood site.If any cache has been unearthed,no one has said.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
I think it's worth hunting, cache or not, just because the age of the site.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
BTW, I get a chuckle every time I see your user name. OMG, what a crack up!!!

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
I think of all the people who suffered and died since the beginning and it makes me sick what people have done to one another. Be that as it may, it wouldn't keep me from hunting or mining for gold even though I know people have been killed jumping claims and so forth. Hey, we're all here just trying to get by and enjoy what we can in life. No disrespect to anyone. And as Tayopa says, we are obligated to the living. Who knows how many graves we walk over not knowing. I'd go in peace and with a light heart and by all means hunt as long as it is safe to do so.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, I get a chuckle every time I see your user name. OMG, what a crack up!!!
??? ECS are my initials. What causes the chuckle?:laughing7::dontknow:
The ROSEWOOD site is now a dirt runway flyin residential community.Most is still underdeveloped-but dirt roads have been cut and some lots have been cleared.
7 mi east of the Rosewood site,is OTTER CREEK,where CSA Capt JJ Dickinson repelled a small Union band that had departed from Cedar Key during the War of Northern Agression.Musket balls and the like have been found in that location.
Cedar Key was also the site of a Union raid on the Confederate salt works,and it was the end terminal of YULEE's railroad.
Also the site of the E FABER pencilworks on the island ATSENA OTIE (original site of Cedar Key-still has a graveyard ,cistern,and remains of pencilworks),and all was destroyed during the hurricane of 1896.
At lot of history on about 31 mi on Cr24 in Levy county.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
A quick Dowse revealed in the blue line area and circles an attraction to silver coins, the circles may be a small cache.
I will also post this in the Florida state section. Hope this helps in searching this area.
Jon

rosewoodFLdowsed.jpg

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All,
A quick Dowse revealed in the blue line area and circles an attraction to silver coins, the circles may be a small cache.
I will also post this in the Florida state section. Hope this helps in searching this area.
Jon

View attachment 630885
Interesting! One of the circles shown is right off Cr24,at the entrance to the airstrip community.The circle to the east is se of of the ROSEWOOD marker,dedicated by Jeb Bush.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Been to Rosewood several times last year. Everything is private property and the people there don't want to be bothered. PICT0024.JPG PICT0025.JPG

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"I looked up and there was a mountain of water coming down on us" -William P Delaino,survivor of Hurricane #4 1896
10 mi west of the Rosewood site is Cedar Key.The Cedar Keys were in 1896,like today,a cluster of close islands connected by bridges and causeways.Cedar Key,the town,is surrounded by a least forty named islands,Astena Otie is but one of them.
The#4 Hurricane of 1896 totally decimated the homes and businesses on Astena Otie and Cedar Key,washing all personal property and goods into the Gulf of Mexico. Many items of that time period have been found over the years,coins,jewlery,tools,silverware ,plates,etc,and probably more is to be found.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thats where I go to search. Cedar Key has Civil War shipwrecks, Spanish galleon wrecks and the SS Peacock which was carrying over $11 million in gold bars wrecked somewhere off Suwannee. President Warren Harding was a guest at the Island House hotel just before the hurricane.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats where I go to search. Cedar Key has Civil War shipwrecks, Spanish galleon wrecks and the SS Peacock which was carrying over $11 million in gold bars wrecked somewhere off Suwannee. President Warren Harding was a guest at the Island House hotel just before the hurricane.
Grover Cleveland was President during the time of the 1896 Hurricane #4.
"The Schlemmer Hotel,the Bettelini Hotel,and The Bar Room burned.Fish houses washed away,railroad washed away,boats in the streets,and rubbish of all kinds.Things lookes bad."-William Delaino,survivor,Hurricane #4,1896

THE BELLE OF SUWANNEE lost its smokestakes that were blown away near Atsena Otie.The schooner GERTRUDE was dismantled and abandoned 15 mi south of Cedar Key.The MALLORY was left in a Suwannee River swamp just north of Cedar Key,and the schooner ROSALIE was lost in the Gulf,just off of Cedar Key.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You're right ECS, it was Grover Cleveland that stayed at the Island House. There is a plaque that mentions this at the hotel. I just got my presidents mixed up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread