Cache Marker? Grave? What is it?

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I checked them out on line last night. Very intresting stuff. Kinda suprised I didnt hear (or at least remember) about them. I grew up on alabamas coast and heard all kinds of storys about french and spanish gold. But sure dont recall KGC.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is that it is a grave marker and has steel reinforcement inside. If it had no steel, a slab like that would have cracked years ago as it settled.

I wouldn't disturb it, but that's just me.

OP
OP
S

slimjim1987

Greenie
Mar 2, 2011
Well, I wish I had exciting news for everyone but I have only been left with confusion....

Me and a couple of friends went and lifted the block. I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't beleive it is a grave simply because the local cemetery nearby has the name of a person with those initials and it fits the time period. There could have been another person with the same initials, but this was a very small community and there is not another person on the census that would match.

The block was not nearly as heavy as we thought it would be, as the underside is inset and was only filled with dirt. There was nothing underneath it and I'm getting some very faint iron readings, but the ground has very high mineralization.

It looks very much like a lid to something, but I can't figure out what. I would say a concrete grave vault, but there was no concrete underneath and it would still be too small for an adult to fit in. What confuses me is the the letters were etched into it while the concrete was still wet. However, the underside of it leads me to believe it was not poured where it lays.

The question is, do I keep digging since I'm aware that a metal detector is only going to go so deep, or do you all think it's just a marker of some sort? I will be posting a picture soon.

OP
OP
S

slimjim1987

Greenie
Mar 2, 2011
IMAG0556.jpg

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the dimensions your giving and the look of it i think it could be a peice to a concrete bench especially if there is a cemetary near by

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean the dirt out of the inside and e if they are places where legs could have been attached

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the guys saying it's a concrete bench is right. If you can, go up to the cemetery and look around. You might find the rest of the bench. Maybe some idiots thought it would be fun carrying it away, and that location was as far as they got.

K

Kentucky Kache

I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't beleive it is a grave simply because the local cemetery nearby has the name of a person with those initials and it fits the time period. There could have been another person with the same initials, but this was a very small community and there is not another person on the census that would match.

Sounds to me like you have a grave stone that was discarded, and a newer one put up. That would be the one in the cemetery with the guys name on it. Cemeteries do that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the dimensions your giving and the look of it i think it could be a peice to a concrete bench especially if there is a cemetary near by
If it were a bench J.A.W. wouldn't have been able to scribe his initials in it while it was still wet... unless of course if he worked at the bench factory.

Sounds to me like you have a grave stone that was discarded, and a newer one put up. That would be the one in the cemetery with the guys name on it. Cemeteries do that.

I've never seen a concrete grave stone where someone "chicken scratched" initials into it while wet.

Last edited:
K

Kentucky Kache

I've never seen a concrete grave stone where someone "chicken scratched" initials into it while wet.

Not sure I have either. But I have seen names/initials scratched into stone, so it wouldn't be hard to believe that someone did that.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor aggie: Please hurry and lift the damm thing before I die of old age. The suspense is killing me...
Don't worry austin, if the suspense kill you, we chip in for a grave stone. What do you want on it?

Farwalker

Aug 18, 2011
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum/6000-DI Pro-sl/Gold-Stinger/CZ7a/
ML750/Tm808/XLT-E/GTX2500/GB/GB2/Ml-Sov./
CZ3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KGC are my initials! and- Knights of Columbus/ This is probably all over by now! Just wonder why it wasn,t just dug alongside
deep enough to investigate, like "outhouse" diggers do. Probably same reason for lack of a larger group of "Serious" Prospecters.
It, work.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked them out on line last night. Very intresting stuff. Kinda suprised I didnt hear (or at least remember) about them. I grew up on alabamas coast and heard all kinds of storys about french and spanish gold. But sure dont recall KGC.
most of the stories are untrue, my friend.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry austin, if the suspense kill you, we chip in for a grave stone. What do you want on it?

I doubt that it will kill me, but for you and Slimjim(he will understand this) , please scratch on there:
Here lies the Longhorn Network
It now costs money to follow a team
That has no defense, a poor offense
And who better thank God
They don't have to face "Johnny Football".
In addition, please leave room in there for Mack Brown and DeLoss Dodds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread