Cache research

k2beardman

Sep 27, 2023

pokergodrules

Greenie
Apr 21, 2023
How do treasure hunters conduct research for caches? How do you start looking? Do you go to a University or library and look at random historical articles that stand out? What leads do you look for when reading? I'm having a difficult time just starting research. What goes on when you are starting over on a fresh slate of research?
Google Earth.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do treasure hunters conduct research for caches...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to CACHE HUNTING for more exposure.
tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
How do treasure hunters conduct research for caches? How do you start looking? Do you go to a University or library and look at random historical articles that stand out? What leads do you look for when reading? I'm having a difficult time just starting research. What goes on when you are starting over on a fresh slate of research?
All of the above, plus much more. It could be newspaper articles, or it could be on old neighborhood rumor about the crazy elderly lady from the abandoned house down the street who supposedly buried her life savings. First it begins with a wisp of a story, then you do whatever research it takes to track it down till it fizzles, or makes you rich. Unfortunately, I think in terms of odds and percentages you are more likely to just stumble over a treasure hoard than you are to hear about it, research it, track it down and find it.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
K2beardman - I recommend Sudden Wealth; An Introduction to Treasure Hunting by "Deek Gladson" [Charles Dean and Gladyce Miller] (1964). Copies are between $50 and $100 when you can find them, but if you are seriously interested that is a downpayment - an investment that will be returned with your first recovery. There are hundreds of books on treasure hunting (and I own most of them) - no better book about treasure finding than SW has been published. It was so popular there are bootleg editions out there (poorly reproduced photos, stapled binding, book number printed (not stamped) on the title page. The information is the same as in the books published by The Gold Bug, Examino Press, and later RAM, but the collector's value isn't there.

SW - KvonM - Slot Machine.jpeg

A dandy second choice is Characters & Cache Planters by Harley Bissell (2021). For years, copies of Harley's TS were circulated by th'ing professionals (including, of course, by KvonM himself - those are marked by his brand). George Shiotelis finally guided that work into print. It is a remarkably detailed reference. And, again, it is not inexpensive ($50). But, if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to get off the porch.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
K

k2beardman

Sep 27, 2023
K2beardman - I recommend Sudden Wealth; An Introduction to Treasure Hunting by "Deek Gladson" [Charles Dean and Gladyce Miller] (1964). Copies are between $50 and $100 when you can find them, but if you are seriously interested that is a downpayment - an investment that will be returned with your first recovery. There are hundreds of books on treasure hunting (and I own most of them) - no better book about treasure finding than SW has been published. It was so popular there are bootleg editions out there (poorly reproduced photos, stapled binding, book number printed (not stamped) on the title page. The information is the same as in the books published by The Gold Bug, Examino Press, and later RAM, but the collector's value isn't there.

View attachment 2107849

A dandy second choice is Characters & Cache Planters by Harley Bissell (2021). For years, copies of Harley's TS were circulated by th'ing professionals (including, of course, by KvonM himself - those are marked by his brand). George Shiotelis finally guided that work into print. It is a remarkably detailed reference. And, again, it is not inexpensive ($50). But, if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to get off the porch.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Much appreciated! Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread