Cache somewhere in former Naval Training Center

dalonz

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2005
Oakland , Florida
Detector(s) used
AU21X, Excalibur 1000, Whites Spectra V3
A lady I know told me about a place in the now Baldwin Park (old Naval Training Center), in Winter Park, Florida, about an old house that used to be on the big lake, on the west side. Built in the mid 1800's. She told me when she owned a restaurant, this old man always came to eat. She became a good friend to him. He was 87 when he died. there was a house that the old man grew up in near the one next to the lake. His home was still there in the early 90's. He pointed toward the lake where this other house was. When he was a child he would visit his neighbor on the lake. His neighbor had a chicken coop near a large oak tree. inside he would keep all his money in a hidden place in the coop. there weren't any banks around nearby at that time.the 87 year old man said, as a boy he would see his neighbor always going in the coop and bringing out money to pay or trade for goods. The boy moved away and later the neighbor died. leaving it abandoned. I have gone there to search for the possible cache left behind years ago. There has been much development, but not there. anyone with a double box deep seeker??? If so lets talk. Lonnie

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
WOW! I worked at the training center for years and never paid much attention to the surrounding area. This was pre-metal detecting. What a dummy I am, huh? Ever since they built Baldwin Park I've only been over there about twice. I forgot about all those older homes that surrounded the area, I should take a driver over there sometime. Thanks for reminding me about it! Good luck hunting for your cache!

vicki

T

TreasureTales

dalonz, welcome to TreasureNet. Interesting story. I would guess that if the older man was retrieving money to pay for goods, the cache would not be all that deep. You may not need a 2-box detector to locate it. Instead, I'd look for a grove of oak trees (the offspring of the old oak) and detect in that area, digging all targets. Other than that, you could buy a used detector for not much money. In fact, there is a Garrett Groundhog for sale on TNet right now, although I know nothing about it and can't vouch for its condition.

Please let us know how your quest goes and whether or not you use a deep seeker. Whether you find the cache or not, this is a great story and I'd like to read more about it. Good luck.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
dalonz,

good luck in your quest.

The hunt is the thing ;)

Good story.

have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE

jsnipr

Aug 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Brandon, FL and I have a maxi pulse plus deep seeking unit. I bet Salvor6 would like to come too. He's a friend of mine and a well known guy on this forum. We've been out a few times with it on some local islands but the mosquitos are horrible. It has a 40 inch loop or it can be doubled-over and make it 20 inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread