Caffeine withdrawal? You are now mentally ill!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
What is reasoning behind this? I mean the REAL reason behind this.

If you eat too much Broccoli you will eventually get some kind of sickness I'm sure, but you know THAT won't ever be a mental disorder.

Caffeine withdrawal is now a mental health disorder | Health Zone | a Chron.com blog

I understand what you are talking about. The purpose in identifying caffeine withdrawal is to accurately diagnosis patients who are having problems. If somebody comes in complaining of HAs (headaches,) irritability, jitteriness, and mood swings then the differential diagnosis can range from thyrotoxicosis, brain tumor, lung cancer, Cushing's ds....the list goes on and on. If during the interview of talking to a patient we gather data about the amount of caffeine they are drinking and the association with what that causing symptoms it can avoid unnecessary and costly tests. "Addiction" is not a medical term. Withdrawal, tolerance, dependence, and abuse are defined medically.

Caffeine is a stimulant. Stimulants can cause the following: increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, better focus, insomnia, jitteriness, irritability, mood swings, arrhythmias, psychosis, and other symptoms.

Withdrawal HAs are one of the most common symptoms. They can be chronic and debilitating. The differential diagnosis for headaches includes: brain bleed, migraines, sepsis, allergic reaction, etc.

Now do you understand why it has been identified and labeled? To help doctors properly diagnosis and treat.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So why isn't sugar withdrawal a mental disorder?

you don't develop a tolerance or dependence on sugar. Withdrawal has specific medical definition that involves rebound autonomic or parasympathetic symptoms. You do not withdraw from sugar, the level of sugar in your body drops. Dropping sugar can lower energy but it is not withdrawal. You also cannot develop a tolerance or dependence on sugar. The more caffeine you take over time the more you need to reach the same effect. This does not happen with sugar. If you cut sugar out of your diet you don't get HA's, irritability, and mood swings for a week or two...ie...dependence.

I know it seems silly, but I need to know the difference between caffeine withdrawal HA and a subarachnoid hemorrhage HA. One is a life threatening emergency and the other is an annoyance. That is why we define these things. Sugar does not do any of those things.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I get grumpy and irritable when I can't get my BBQ brisket. :>)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I am old and am having young latina withdrawal. I don't want every one of them anymore, so I know it's withdrawal and I must be crazy...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in my 4th month of smokeless tobacco cessation after 26 years of use. Metal detecting has helped along with nicotine patches. Previously tried hypnosis, chantix, and nicotine gum ( which only reinforced my oral fixation). This is 4th attempt in 7 years. Also experienced caffeine withdrawals when I had to fast for a recent medical procedure. Guess I've never had to go without tea, cola, or coffee for more than 8 hours in my adult life. The headache and irritability was so bad

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am old and am having young latina withdrawal. I don't want every one of them anymore, so I know it's withdrawal and I must be crazy...

Lol

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and now the AMA is about to label obesity a disease....will the forced victimization ever stop?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right, they should ignore obesity. It is not like obesity has much higher rates of diabetes, myocardial infarction, stroke, atherosclertoic plaques, cartoid stenosis or anything else crazy like that. That would be silly. Much better to put your head in the sand and pretend like obesity is not a risk for health problems.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, they should ignore obesity. It is not like obesity has much higher rates of diabetes, myocardial infarction, stroke, atherosclertoic plaques, cartoid stenosis or anything else crazy like that. That would be silly. Much better to put your head in the sand and pretend like obesity is not a risk for health problems.

Yes none of those affect health care costs for taxpayers! Right? We're a fast food society with less time, high stress, and sedentary life styles. Its a recipe for disaster! PS: I'm guilty as charged, enjoying my freshly ground coffee with real 1/2 n 1/2 !

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes none of those affect health care costs for taxpayers! Right? We're a fast food society with less time, high stress, and sedentary life styles. Its a recipe for disaster! PS: I'm guilty as charged, enjoying my freshly ground coffee with real 1/2 n 1/2 !

I like my coffee the same way I like my beer, puppy, and car...black.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody said it's not a health risk nor to ignore it. Obesity causes diseases. Same with cigarette smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. Obesity in itself is not a disease.

To label caffeine withdrawal a mental health disorder is nothing more than a way for doctors to bill insurance companies for treating this so called "disorder". Shame on you APA[FONT=RobotoRegular, arial, sans-serif]. What's next? The ability to sue the company you work for, for supplying you with and getting you addicted to caffeine?

JUST ANOTHER PRIME EXAMPLE...
[/FONT]

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Have a really big problem understanding WHY it affects the taxpayer? Has government over reach finally made self regulation mute?

You are no longer responsible for your actions?
Wow that is good news! Candy bars dipped in Guiness>>>> Here I come!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
May I kindly suggest that you do some research on effects of dopamine at the nucleus accumbens. I would particularly like to point out the cause effect relationship between substances that cause release of dopamine and genetic studies showing that not everybody reacts the same. Twin-twin studies, longitundinal studies, and cohort studies demonstrate that addictions are a disease.

I doubt that people want to be addicted to cigs, alcohol, or food. My guess, is that most people who are obese would like to be thin and do not want the health problems. Perhaps, you could present us with some research and clarify the definition of what is a disease and what is not a disease.

Thank you for getting this conversation started. I looking forward to reviewing your research and learning from it.

Sincerely,
Crispin

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crispin. I assume you were not responding to my post. But I would like to know why any addictions resultant diseases or maladies should be paid for by the general public?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored:

What a class act you are. Taking personal shots at me huh? Talking down to me huh? What's stuck in your craw?

Where did I say addiction is not a disease? I believe I said obesity is not a disease.
It has not been officially recognized/classified as a disease by the AMA. As a matter of fact it's being debated almost as we speak. Have a nice day Crispin.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please play nice...............:occasion14:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
May I kindly suggest that you do some research on effects of dopamine at the nucleus accumbens. I would particularly like to point out the cause effect relationship between substances that cause release of dopamine and genetic studies showing that not everybody reacts the same. Twin-twin studies, longitundinal studies, and cohort studies demonstrate that addictions are a disease.

I doubt that people want to be addicted to cigs, alcohol, or food. My guess, is that most people who are obese would like to be thin and do not want the health problems. Perhaps, you could present us with some research and clarify the definition of what is a disease and what is not a disease.

Thank you for getting this conversation started. I looking forward to reviewing your research and learning from it.

Sincerely,
Crispin

Take Disease-Dis Eased about what?????????????????

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out this list of addictions.

Addictions List of types of Addictive Substances and Behaviors

People can be addicted to ANYTHING. In fact, I would go out on a limb and say EVERYONE is addicted to something and would be in withdrawel if we were to stop doing whatever IT is we are addicted to.

I guess if I were to quit metal detecting and suffered horrible withdrawal side affects from doing so..... that could also qualify as a mental disorder?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread