Calf Creek?

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hi y'all! Newbie here, second attempt at posting, apologies if both attempts show up. I found this spear(?) head in NE okla. It's 3 1/2" long x 2" wide, transparent along the thin edges with dark spots in the transparent part. Can't see the dark spots un less you hold it up to the light. From online reading, I guess it to be a Calf Creek made of frisco chert. What say you? I whooped, I hollared, I danced, and got down on my kees to thank the Lord when I found it. Boy that was fun!

naturegirl

Attachments

• resize arrowhead.jpg
    resize arrowhead.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,544
  • resize profile.jpg
    resize profile.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,007
Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
RGINN said:
Cool find. Neanderthal, what was the purpose of the deep notching on the Calf Creek points and how were they mounted? How were they launched? I've seen that picture of one buried in a bison skull (somebody missed a shot) and it took a lot of force to bury it in there.

I think the deep notching could have served a few purposes. Like I mentioned earlier, punch notching undoubtedly started in the northeast. Through diffusion, that technology was learned and then utilized. the deep notches gave a larger stem area to haft to, and retaining the long barbs gave them more flint to work with. I'm sure there was a measure of pride in it also, showing off their ability to create something so intricate and hard to master.

Kim Holt is the fellow who found the bison skull with a Calf embedded in it in Tulsa County. Unfortunately, Kim passed away last year. He donated the skull to the Sam Noble museum up in OKC. There was even a program on tv (History's Mysteries) with the skull. The skull is problematical, and caused quite a stir. For one thing, your typical Calf Creeks aren't really projectiles. The long barbs would break far too easily, and Calf Creek points always exhibit signs of being used as knives - the beveled resharpening, serrated edges, the top 1/3 being the most heavily resharpened part of the blades, etc. This is why the buffalo skull blew everyone away. If Calf Creeks are knives, how did it become embedded in the skull? It only seems logical that at least that one was used a projectile...or was it? It's my opinion that it's entirely possible that it could have been a defensive measure. First, look at how deep that is embedded in the skull. That would take an INCREDIBLE amount of force to impel that in there with a throw or even a thrust. It's lodged in one of the thicker parts of the skull, near the horn core. The full blade length is embedded, up to the notches! It has been opined that perhaps it was an atlatl shot, but I find that absurd. Firstly, the blade is far too large to have tipped an atlatl dart, and I can't foresee an abo tipping an atlatl with a point that is so fragile, the ears would have broken off with any throw.

I used to do alot of experimental archaeology years ago, and still do it to some degree to this day. I have shot more flint tipped arrows and utilized more flint tools than I'd care to remember. I am planning on trying to recreate possible ways in which the Calf Creek could have become lodged in the skull. By using fresh bison skulls and modern knapped Calf Creek points, we will try to determine possible scenarios. It's already in the works. The whole process will be photo documented for all to see.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Oh man! Thanks so much for sharing all this. I'm so glad I was in the right place at the right time. That bison skull was the coolest thing I've ever heard of, and I know I'm not the only one looking for a repeat. It's nice to hear of some of the behind the scenes goings on. Sorry Kim Holt died before all could be learned about his treasure.

naturegirl

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
Wouldn't the foreshaft mean that projectiles were easily removed and could be used as knives? Surely there are andice and calf creeks that do have the barbs sharpened or broke off. I would think that would be what you would find mostly on a calf creek site. Anyway I think large projectile could be shot with the atlatl. I thought the valuable part was the shaft, and the points were more expendable.

Any thoughts?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
SoIll said:
Wouldn't the foreshaft mean that projectiles were easily removed and could be used as knives? Surely there are andice and calf creeks that do have the barbs sharpened or broke off. I would think that would be what you would find mostly on a calf creek site. Anyway I think large projectile could be shot with the atlatl. I thought the valuable part was the shaft, and the points were more expendable.

Any thoughts?
The barbs are gone on many examples from resharpening (from having been used as knife), or broken off during manufacture. I throw an atlatl and can tell you that these large first form Calf Creeks would not function well as a dart point. Remember that most of the points that we find are discards that have been used and resharpened until they are diminished to the point of exhaustion. My average atlatl dart points are usually no longer than 2" or so in length in weigh in often under 300 grains. Yes, foreshafts are easily taken from the socket of the main shaft and could in fact be used as a knife, and I'm sure many points were.

Calf Creek points are not expendable in any way, shape or form. Try knapping one. Even a very accomplished knapper will pull their hair out in frustration trying to perfect the technique. They are one of the hardest point styles there are to make without breakage. Natives were far from ignorant and it doesn't seem logical to spend the longest time knapping one of the most fragile and hard to make forms as a projectile. The haft and form are too prone to breakage. Not to mention that they are far too large to work efficiently. Your more typical dart forms are small and robust, often with well pronounced median ridges. Hafting also matters alot. Take folsom for instance. They were most likely dart points, we know at least some of them were. Their hafting made them less prone to breakage and they were an ideal dart point because of it.

As a side note, here's something you may find interesting. My son throws an atlatl on a regular basis and he uses a bois d'arc foreshaft as a tip. Believe it or not, he can sink that hardened, wood bois d'arc tip into trees so hard that you can barely get it out (he's 13). He can also stick it into telephone poles and railroad ties on occasion...that's some tough wood! His hardened wood tip actually holds up better than flint a good percentage of the time.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Neanderthal said:
Calf Creek points are not expendable in any way, shape or form. The haft and form are too prone to breakage. Not to mention that they are far too large to work efficiently.

So what type of projectile point was utilized by hunters of the Calf Creek complex?

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Artifacts Naturegirl. That sure is a beautiful Andice.

Molly.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
11KBP said:
So what type of projectile point was utilized by hunters of the Calf Creek complex?

I probably should have made myself a little more clear on the subject. The ones that I'm talking about are the Calf Creeks that we envision as "typical", the long earred, thin, intricately notched large blades. There are others that do occur with them that are a bit different. For instance, in Calf Creek Cave in Arkansas, there were several points that were made a little different, but found in the same context - direct association. These points were medium sized and didn't have the prominant long ears or intricate notches that you see in the larger examples (such as the one embedded in the bison skull). These would have worked well as dart points. They are different enough that if found they weren't found in direct context with calves, they wouldn't be identified as Calf Creek. Some of the examples could have been mistaken for Haskell or even Cooper points. Haskell and Cooper themselves have been dated slightly later than the CC, and I've always contested that these types did most likely morph from the Calf Creek. In essence, there are points made by the Calf Creek people that were most likely dart points, but they don't look a-typical. To make matters even more confusing, there is a link to yet another point type in the mix, believe it or not......Afton.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hi Molly, thanks for the welcome. The education that is coming with this find almost makes me forget that snowstorm that has kept me in all weekend. A friend and I were discussing the senario of the embedded point being from a defensive stab. That sure is exciting. I had one question when I posted -what is it?- now I have dozens of questions, and am anticpating what I'm gonna learn. I guess all the answers aren't out there on some hillside, but c'mon sushine! Melt that snow!

naturegirl

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I don't think it was caused from a stab, there was an enormous amount of force applied for it to embed where it was and that deep. To give you an idea of the impact, where it hit is solid bone. It could have been a defensive measure, perhaps the animal impaled itself on the point. I don't know. Even young Bison Occidentalis calves are very large, much larger than our modern Bison Bison. This is what experimental archaeology is all about, trying to give plausible answers some of the questions.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Saying "Calf Creek" is fine, because they all truely are. It's like calling a St. Johns or Hope variety just a San Patrice. It could be an Andice variety, but I doubt it. See how oval the overall preform is? Check out the recurved look on the inside of the tangs. Those are usually indicators that it would have an expanded stem. Take away the stem from naturegirls point and look at the inside of the tangs themselves and you'll see the difference. Some Andice do also have the recurved or concave ears, but it's less frequent. I'll see if I can't take some pics (when I get time) of the original Calf Creek casts for comparison.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Well now, Duh. Of course it's a calf, just look at the size comparison. Note to self, shut mouth, open eyes. Fine tune imagination.

ng

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Well now, Duh. Of course it's a calf, just look at the size comparison. Note to self, shut mouth, open eyes. Fine tune imagination.

ng

:D Too funny. NG, listen to Matt he knows what he is talking about. I was very fortunate to have Matt teach me lots of topics concerning artifacts/IDing, when I first started out.( I still pick Matts brain) I am so greatful for that, otherwise I would have been none the wiser with everyones different views :icon_scratch: NOT saying that other ppls views aint worth much, THEY ARE, it just gets confusing with everyones ideas. :tard:

NG, you are very fortunate to have found such a beautiful point, whole too. Can't wait to see what else you find.
Its great to have more women in Artifacts. :thumbsup:

Molly. :) ( No Offence ppl, just gets confusing as a newbie, in 12 month NG will have her own thoughts on the matter) :D

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
was wondering what that crazy noise was! I'd be whooping & hollerin too. what a beauty

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to naturegirl for starting up this post. Thanks to Neanderthal for your info. I respect experimental archaeology, as everything I find, I start with trying to figure out how I would use it. Neanderthal, if you get the time, PM me with the info on what museum you're with.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Welcome..and very cool pic. Would love to find something like those around here in Calif.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread