Caliche

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I don't understand the question-

How far did they tunnel through caliche?

Or did they put caliche in tunnels?

Or something totally different?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think caliche is a calcium deposit and they use it in cement making,unless you are in Peru...then its a salt deposit.
Unless this is something used for mining.....I think they meant cache.

OP
OP
L

lynnharris

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2006
When they would seal the mine they would make and use caliche,right? How far in the tunnel would they put it?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
6' should do it. Sometimes more depending on how sealed they want it. Usually they backfill the hole with dirt, then use caliche the last 6'-3'

Where do you plan on digging? ;D

S

stefen

Caliche is a poor-mans concrete and is naturally formed. It is a term for calcium carbonate (CaCO3) that forms in sediments or in voids and crevices within bedrock just below the surface in semiarid regions, as a result of soil-forming processes or ground-water evaporation.

It is usually a material left behind by evaporation of ground water.

The layers are a few inches to several 4 or more feet thick, and acts as a percolation barrier of soil from precipitation or artificial watering.

The majority of the soil in the Las Vegas area is underlaid with a lense of caliche which must be exposed and/or penetrated to facilitate runoff and for planting or large shrubs and trees.

There is a chance that this material was man-placed in a tunnel for whatever purpose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread