California Anchor Salvaging rules

In2deep

Aug 21, 2008
We found a very large old anchor offshore of our lovely California coast. Since no one will probably ever find it again, as it is not a normal dive site on a very rugged cliff lined coast, I was thinking it would make a great lawn ornament for all to appreciate. It is located in 80+ feet of water and NOT attached to any shipwreck. We could clearly see where the chain fouled and broke. Could someone please help me with locating the rules/laws on salvaging this anchor. Are permits required? Does it fall under the law of finds? Because it is possibly from the 1800's does that change anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help :)

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Only ONE answer to your question....YOU should get in touch with the California "board of historical or archaeological resources" of your state, and ask them. Many states provide very stiff penaltys for moving historical artifacts without permission. You may get 50 replies on TNET, but I'd get a reply from a state archaeologist before I started that deal...just in case.

When I see a broken anchor chain...I assume it could have been broken in a violent storm. I follow it and log it's direction, indicating where the ship was when it broke. Then I'd follow that path to the shore and see if there wasn't a whole ship there. Anchor chains don't break in calm seas, and ships whose anchors gave up in relatively shallow water near a rocky cliff probably did not fair to well. Worth a closer look in my opinion.

Good luck, and keep us posted...maybe take some pics next time you're there.

Jason

OP
OP
I

In2deep

Aug 21, 2008
I surely do not want to get in any trouble and want to do everything legally. If permits are needed or any other such documentation then that stuff will be researched. I need to know who to talk to and what the actual laws are. It is hard to find these things out when you are...well [prohibited word deleted], but willing to learn. Using google without exact terms does not locate the necessary information.

As for the chain it was in a Southernly direction to which there are no cliffs, but the current does run that direction. The chain was fouled in a small crevice and broken fairly close to the crevice. Not sure if they had the capability to break a chain trying to bring it back on board or not? I know the area fairly well and although I am sure there are many many wrecks in the area, but there are no unknown ones around the anchor.

Thanks for the reply.

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Please remember that you will have to start conservation (electrolysis) as soon as you bring it to shore. I know that's not you want to hear. But there are several anchors "displayed" around here without treatment. And they are rusty eyesores nobody is proud of.

Chip V.

OP
OP
I

In2deep

Aug 21, 2008
Thanks Chip I understand that the ocean has been protecting it for many years and that once exposed to air it will deteriorate at an alarming rate unless treated. I will have to study up on the best way to preserve the anchor once it is out of the salt water.

OP
OP
I

In2deep

Aug 21, 2008
The anchor is probably around 5-6' wide at the flutes, and 10-11' long. Unfortunately we did not have a camera with us so I am going off of memory. I am sure it weights a ton...literally ;D

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Google Earth there's a group that has listed all the known shipwrecks with pretty good location info. Also, you can call the US Coast Guard office in Long Beach, they used to have a list of known shipwrecks that they'd mail to you. Been awile, so they might have put it up on the web by now.

Used to have pretty good luck getting info from the Newport Beach station late in the evening. If I recall right it was the cutter Cape Higgon. Usually the guy that had the watch was bored to tears and was a wealth of info! The other source I used a lot was getting the Local Notice to Mariners, ask if they still mail them out or if you can get them on the web.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread