California beach hunting tips

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
I see a lot of posts from beachhunters on the east coast but very few from the west coast. I just wonder is searching the lanes the same here. I have a water detector (viper trident) and have tried it in the lane a few times but no luck so far at the ocean side of the beach. In the bay side where the wave action is a lot less I did find a few nails, but nothing else. Hoping someone on here can give me a few tips on how to hunt the lane. Thank you. Ted

Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never hunted the San Diego area but have hunted the LA area beaches a lot (Santa Monica, Venice, Redondo, Manhatten and even a little up around Zuma). Now it's only when I go out to visit my daughter but when I lived there we were out constantly. The basic rules are the same. Follow the tide out if your working the lane and always work any cuts, troughs and runouts. If you are working the sand, again the general rules apply, learn to read the beach and BEAT THE GROOMERS to the punch. In the LA area getting a job as a beach groomer is kinda like getting a job as a trash man in Beverly Hills. You don't unless someone dies, you know someone, and you are the next in line. Those guys clean up (no pun intended). Stay at it, visit different beaches and you'll find your share.
Deepsix

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I've never been on the west coast, hunting the sand is still the same. Hunt where the people have been and the finds will come. Make sure your not discriminating out pull tabs and over lap and the stuff will appear. Get there early, like before daybreak.

HH,
Sandman

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
I'm in Sandy Eggo, and I've been hitting the beaches just around and after sunset. Crowds are less, no sunburn to worry about, etc. But I've been noticing that the beaches seem pretty devoid of anything good. Lots of trash, but nothing of value. I had better luck before the summer began.

One area I always check is around the poles for volleyball nets. People tend to toss their stuff down there when playing, and sometimes some stuff falls out of their pockets. But I've been getting skunked sometimes anyway.

I've been thinking of going to north county, but those are state beaches and probably fall under the "Not in State Parks" laws.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread