California State Parks & Forest MD Rules

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Re: California State Parks & Forest MD Rules

All I know is "yes, there are rules." But I've been trying to find out what they are also. I do know that in Cal. State Parks there is no MD'ing allowed, but I don't know if that also applies to Cal. State Beaches. If it has any historic value, though, the answer is a flat-out NO. No detecting allowed -- unless as part of a licensed archeological research project. And good luck then, also!

As to Cal. State Forests, are there such things? I know the rules vary in National Forests, depending on the forest. Then there are BLM lands, where the rules vary by district also.

If anyone else has better information, I, too, would like to know!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

National Parks vary by location around here. I know that in the Whiskeytown and Shasta National Recreation Areas there is NO detecting. There are maps available that show the boundaries. Usually these lands butt up to BLM land where the rules are more relaxed. Thing is, they don't want you to remove anything "Historical". I've heard that is anything over 50 years old. Then there is the artifact thing. Leave arrowheads and such where you find them. I've talked to a ranger at the Trinity Recreation Area and he didn't have any problems with coin or gold hunting but, again, leave the artifacts. Forget the State Parks. As far as the State Parks at the beaches go, I "THINK" you can detect below the high tide line, wherever that is. You'd have to ask. From what I've seen written by various folks on this site, when you ask, you usually get a "no" response when the person saying "no" doesn't really know the rules. You could have one person tell you it's ok one day and go back the next day and have someone else tell you no.

T

TreasureTales

California State Parks prohibit the removal of all things, GENERALLY SPEAKING. This rule will vary, however, depending on who is on duty at any given time. Some rangers are more lenient and will let you hunt for modern coins. Historical and/or valuable items (modern items like Rollex Watches) are to be left in situ and reported to the ranger.

California State Beaches also have prohibitions against removing items. Again, it all depends on who you talk to when asking permission. The laws are quite explicit, but seem to be enforced in degrees and depending upon whom you speak with.

California State Forests are closed to prospecting, stream damage, rock removal, etc. They are less apt to be patrolled regularly by staff, but they are part of State lands and State lands are generally off limits to any type of real or perceived damage.

There is a State Park that permits gold panning, unfortunately I don't recall right now which park that is. One of the parks in the Mother Lode area.

And the 50 years old or older limit is true for most of the BLM lands. I have in my possession a brochure from a BLM office in Nevada that seems to indicate older items can be removed and MDing is allowed, but the brochure is somewhat vague.

The only sure way to know what, where and when you can metal detect, pan for gold, etc. is to go to the place and ask the ranger on duty. Calling on the phone almost always results in a firm "NO" when I used to do it. I now go to the place, ask politely and state what exactly I indend to do. At the local State beaches I have had no problems metal detecting the sandy areas, as long as I don't go near the dune grass.

Sorry, but there doesn't seem to be any hard and set rules about detecting or whatever on State lands. I do know for a fact, however, that on State lands you are not to damage, destroy, kill, injure, or in any way harm the vegetation and/or wildlife. Removal of rocks is even prohibited most times.

Fact is, for me anyhow, I avoid State lands when treasure hunting. Even the beaches are not that thrilling for me. Usually the coins are few and the rubberneckers are many. Of course, I am referring to the lack of coins at Northern California beaches, which get fewer swimmers and sunbathers than SoCal beaches.

OP
OP
S

sillytree

What is BLM land?

T

TreasureTales

sillytree said:
What is BLM land?
BLM is Bureau of Land Management. It is a US federal agency that manages most uninhabited lands in the country that are not forested, usually meaning lands in the Western states. It is responsible for roads, structures, natural features and historic features on those lands. BLM lands are usually uninhabited and arid or mountainous and remote. Hope that helps answer your question.

OP
OP
S

sillytree

Thanks, that really helps a lot. I am still trying to figure out the prospectors lanquage...still don't know what hot rocks are...

So I was checking out the Chocolate Mountains around the Mesquite Mine in SoCal. Does anyone have tips on good (and legal) places to prospect in this area?

T

TreasureTales

sillytree said:
Thanks, that really helps a lot. I am still trying to figure out the prospectors lanquage...still don't know what hot rocks are...

So I was checking out the Chocolate Mountains around the Mesquite Mine in SoCal. Does anyone have tips on good (and legal) places to prospect in this area?

hotrocks are rocks that make your metal detector start beeping. They may or may not contain precious metals, sometimes they contain iron, but whatever they contain they do set off the detector.

Don't know about the Chocolate Mountains personally, but if you start a thread in the appropriate section, I'm sure somebody will give you some information. This website has some exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful people onboard. Good luck in your treasure hunting.

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006

sillytree said:

Watch out for live artillery. That's real near the live ammo practice area for the military. Otherwise, I'd love to go out with you!

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006

mrs.oroblanco said:
The best place I have found for California State park information is : http://www.parks.ca.gov/

Pick whichever park you are interested in, and it will give you spefic information on that area. Since California State Park system controls several things, including parks, some beaches, and stuff like that, they have different regulations for different places.

Unfortunately, I have literally scoured that site (as far as SoCal parks are concerned) and nowhere does it give the regulations pertaining to MDing. And I know for a fact that it isn't allowed in Torrey Pines S.R., as I have asked -- it's a "historical site." They said it even extends to the state beach!

I've also checked on the California Civil Code site, and can't find anything at all about MDing. But I do know it isn't allowed in most state parks. Does anyone have more extensive information?

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

just remember. laws are left to interpretation unless they specifically say no. laws will never say yes to anything. that leaves them liable to eat their own dirt. as long as they say no to something. then they are covered and you are the one who is screwed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a contradiction of terms....:dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Parks vary by location around here. I know that in the Whiskeytown and Shasta National Recreation Areas there is NO detecting. There are maps available that show the boundaries. Usually these lands butt up to BLM land where the rules are more relaxed. Thing is, they don't want you to remove anything "Historical". I've heard that is anything over 50 years old. Then there is the artifact thing. Leave arrowheads and such where you find them. I've talked to a ranger at the Trinity Recreation Area and he didn't have any problems with coin or gold hunting but, again, leave the artifacts. Forget the State Parks. As far as the State Parks at the beaches go, I "THINK" you can detect below the high tide line, wherever that is. You'd have to ask. From what I've seen written by various folks on this site, when you ask, you usually get a "no" response when the person saying "no" doesn't really know the rules. You could have one person tell you it's ok one day and go back the next day and have someone else tell you no.
I think detecting is outlawed in all National Parks but it is allowed in some of the National Recreation areas....

Research where you want to go, if it doesn't say it is banned by law go, in the end each one of us is responsible for our actions. It want mean a hill of beans if you say TreasureNet said it was okay... [emoji12]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions