Calling all "clay" haters!!

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calling all "clay" hater's!!

Being a new miner, I've always been fascinated at the love/hate relationship between miner's and clay. They do the dance of joy when they find a layer of clay with a bounty of gold sitting right on top, or breaking through the false bedrock of clay and finding the payload there.
Only to curse the very same clay as they fight to combat it's relentless grip on gold and anything else that it comes into contact with! Even the most patient miner's cringe at the dreaded word "CLAY".
Here is what I have found so far.
There are many type's of clay. Which I AM NOT going to talk about because in terms of "fun", I'd rather stick an ice pick in my ear, then get that boring. I have found out that there are things that miner's add to clay, in an attempt to:
1. Settle the clay in the water faster in recirculating systems, to avoid pump burnout and run cleaner water.
2. Make clay release it's grip on our beloved gold and other valuables.
It's the first one that I need help with (to start with)! I want to run a recirculating system with a few tub's, and need advise on settling the clay in my water. I don't want any dangerous chemicals, and right now the best advise I have been given is 1/2 Borax, mixed with 1/2 Calgon Water Softener. The reason why I think this is good advise is because they are both, readily available, cheap, and safe to use.
Is there anyone out there that doesn't fear the dreaded CLAY, I really could use some advise, please!

Upvote 0

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I put clay into a plastic laundry tub, and pour some non-sudsing ammonia into it, and toss some sand and gravel in also.
I break it up with a construction potato masher thing, then pour off the clay solution until I have sand and gravel only!The ammonia is alkailne and works great! Then I run the dirt into a storm gutter sluice or pan it out! Works great!

But always determine first if their is gold on top of the clay.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put clay into a plastic laundry tub, and pour some non-sudsing ammonia into it, and toss some sand and gravel in also.
I break it up with a construction potato masher thing, then pour off the clay solution until I have sand and gravel only!The ammonia is alkailne and works great! Then I run the dirt into a storm gutter sluice or pan it out! Works great!

But always determine first if their is gold on top of the clay.

Thanks bubba, my mind is open to anything! Could you please post a pick of the "masher" thing, I was going to use a Drywall Mixer. It's like a long blender attachment to mix the drywall mud. But I don't think that I've ever seen a masher?

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Thanks bubba, my mind is open to anything! Could you please post a pick of the "masher" thing, I was going to use a Drywall Mixer. It's like a long blender attachment to mix the drywall mud. But I don't think that I've ever seen a masher?

In cant find a picture of it! Just mix the gravel with whatever works.Sorry!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems those old construction mashers are difficult to come by anymore.

Well, time to get creative. Why not use a 90-degree 4-prong cultivator or a simple garden rake?
image_54.jpg
1350489598-43169800.jpg
mExCmLW.jpg
373hr.jpg

il_570xN.560979806_m7x6.jpg
This is from Etsy.com and is $21.25

71yewG3fhIL._SL1500_.jpg
Update International (PMRD-18) 18" Nickel-Plated Round Masher - from Amazon.com and about $17.50 incl. shipping

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Another idea would be to get 2 or 3 5-gal buckets or make wooden frames, then use various sized fencing/hardware cloth to make mashers with different sized openings. Could double your use of these as classifiers.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Seems those old construction mashers are difficult to come by anymore.

Well, time to get creative. Why not use a 90-degree 4-prong cultivator or a simple garden rake?
View attachment 1294681
View attachment 1294684
View attachment 1294694
View attachment 1294712

View attachment 1294667
This is from Etsy.com and is $21.25

View attachment 1294671
Update International (PMRD-18) 18" Nickel-Plated Round Masher - from Amazon.com and about $17.50 incl. shipping

That looks like it! The masher for $21.95

I like the hardware cloth idea, use 1/4" mesh!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any drywall supply co. will have those. Even Lowes and H. D.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've never seen a potato masher?

9739002_1.jpg

OPERATION:
1) Unscrew base.
2) Pull string.
3) Place ever so gently in bucket with clay.
4) With haste, seek cover.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was giving bill a clue to fix the misspellings in his sig! His sig says speck and ruled instead of speak and ruler.

Gezzz... You guys never get it!
Chlsrns, we do not have grammar police here, do not correct members grammar in open forums...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread