Calling all CRHers!! (Both older members and new!)

Laken

Dec 24, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there everyone,

Now that this forum has calmed down a bit and has seemed to go in a new direction, I thought I would try to start a way to bring it all back together! Its no longer the same logging in and not seeing those frequent posts made by our older members (Rileyboy, Apush, Chainchomp, etc.) I miss the good ol' days! However, the new days may very well usher in good days as well! (As proven by Bigheed's amazing CRHing results!)

So, I thought why not start a thread on our personal history of how we started CRHing! I will start with my own....

My first job at the age of 16 was working at a local grocer's market. I had been there for about 6 months and had pretty much developed good relations with all my coworkers. One day, an elderly woman walked into our market with a big ol' plastic bag full of coins and proceeded to dump them in our coinstar machine. I didnt think much of it. Within 5 minutes, the lady comes up to me and asks me to fix the machine as it now down. I ask my manager who then tells me, "I trust you, go see what you can do" and sends me on my way.

The lady explains to me that about 50% of the coins she has dumped in the machine keeps getting rejected and she wants it fixed. I tell her to hold on and let me see what I could do. I started by taking a hand full of change from her bag and dumping it in the tray. They looked like normal quarters, dimes, nickels, etc. The coinstar rejects them! I mumble to myself, "That's weird..." , before grabbing them from the reject tray and attempting to dump them again.

She begins explaining to me that her husband passed away not too long ago and he had all these coins in a gallon jug in their house. She wanted to cash em because she needed the money... Before letting em slide right back into the machine to be rejected again I notice a buffalo nickel. It was at that time that I also notice a couple odd looking dimes with another head besides Roosevelt's. I realize that these coins are pretty old and just by pure gut instinct, I offer her a $20 for a handful of her change. She agrees!

I quickly run back to my coworker who just so happens to be a coin collector and he demands that I go back and buy the whole darn bag! He then exclaims, "Hell! I will just go with you!"

We run back to the coinstar where she was, but instead another person is now there dumping. We quickly look around the store for her ... We almost thought we lost her! We then find her with another younger woman who turns out to be her daughter. The daughter quickly catches on just like us and denies us the chance to buy out the enitre bag... But! we did manage to convince her to sell us another $5 each from her bag of goodies. I still have those coins to date and they constantly inspire me to keep going on back out there to find more! Best coin in the batch? A Standing Liberty quarter.

Sorry for the long story, and if you have read all the way up to this point then that means I have not completely bored you! =D
Now, let's hear some more stories from everyone!

I am hoping to try to bring new members and old members together to share ideas and experiences! Let's make this a great thread!

HSH everyone! (R.I.P Rich Hartford)

Upvote 0

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Laken said:
Whoa! How long ago was this Impurest? I would say I am surprised at the cashier not realizing their worth or age... but we find what we find because of this.

I love all the great stories everyone has shared!

This was about 5-6 years ago. I have yet to find another solid roll of anything to this date. ;D

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: I started coin collecting when I had my paper route in 1964. By the time I went in the Army in 1970, I had stopped doing it. I had kept my old coins but in the early 1980s when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, I sold some of my silver coins but kept others. I started metal detecting in 2008. One of the members of my metal detecting club told me about coin roll hunting in Dec 2010 while I was recovering from foot surgery & couldn't go metal detecting. This renewed my interest in coin collecting & I been doing crh since than.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread