Upvote 0

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Re: ~~ CALLING ALL KEY COLLECTOR'S ~~

That key is awesome. Your right...never ever seen one of those. Nice finds! :thumbsup:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That bracelet is beatiful. The key is very unique. Never seen one like that before.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Art ! As a graduate of The Imaculate Heart of Mary Catholic elementary school in my hometown , here in Maine . I say that only a Nun , and most likely Mother Superior herself would carry this key. To open either the school or the church. My educated guess :laughing7: Great find !! MaineRelic

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

MaineRelic said:
Hey Art ! As a graduate of The Imaculate Heart of Mary Catholic elementary school in my hometown , here in Maine . I say that only a Nun , and most likely Mother Superior herself would carry this key. To open either the school or the church. My educated guess :laughing7: Great find !! MaineRelic

Hey thanks for the reply, very interesting piece of info!!!!

Thanks again

art

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In the Catholic Mass, the chalice is kept locked in a an ornate enclosure behind the altar. Your key, kept by priests, most likely opens one of those enclosures

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

GopherDaGold said:
In the Catholic Mass, the chalice is kept locked in a an ornate enclosure behind the altar. Your key, kept by priests, most likely opens one of those enclosures

WOW!!!,,,Thanks for the info!! :headbang:

art

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was an altar boy for years, (one of the lucky ones :D ) Your key may also open a sacristy. A sacristy is a room for keeping vestments (such as the alb and chasuble) and other church furnishings, sacred vessels, and parish records.

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

GopherDaGold said:
I was an altar boy for years, (one of the lucky ones :D ) Your key may also open a sacristy. A sacristy is a room for keeping vestments (such as the alb and chasuble) and other church furnishings, sacred vessels, and parish records.

Cool,, thanks for all the info, I knew someone would know the scoop on this key,,very unique indeed!!

art

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK here's the scoop on your key, it doesn't actually fit a lock, that's why there are no grooves on the sides. What it is is a "key to heaven" it would have been worn on a necklace. It says on it, "I'm a catholic, call a priest" this is so emergency workers will know to call a priest to administer last rites if the wearer is found dying. It's one of the more morbid (in my opinion) bits of catholic jewelry. I've only ever seen one that was similar and I have to assume they are fairly rare to find. Cool find!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice looking key, I bet there are collectors who would like to have what you have shared with us, Nice finds.

ewcoinhunter

Mar 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe

Congrats on a very rare key! I also believe this is ment as a "Key To Heaven", 8 years of Catholic school, and have seen something similar there also. great find.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOLA_Ken said:
OK here's the scoop on your key, it doesn't actually fit a lock, that's why there are no grooves on the sides. What it is is a "key to heaven" it would have been worn on a necklace. It says on it, "I'm a catholic, call a priest" this is so emergency workers will know to call a priest to administer last rites if the wearer is found dying. It's one of the more morbid (in my opinion) bits of catholic jewelry. I've only ever seen one that was similar and I have to assume they are fairly rare to find. Cool find!
Possible... I haven't seen a Key of Heaven that was cut and not all keys are grooved. I should have taken a closer look at the inscriptions on the medals which are of the style worn by many Catholics.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's definitely a unique looking key...Congrats on your finds bud :wink:

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

NOLA_Ken said:

That puts another twist to the old mystery key!! awsome bit of info there!!!!

Thanks for the reply and bit of wisdom on the catholic religion.

art

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I dont know what it opens. But it is a sweet looking key. :icon_thumright:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I think it might be a tabernacle key where they keep the host, the small bread wafers used during communion. I say go ask a priest at a catholic church. and that bracelet is awesome. thank you for sharing.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Super Digs!
Another Former Altar Boy thinks this is a Sacristy key.
Congrats on those great finds !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread