Calling for all people knowlagable on Native American Artifacts!

Sep 14, 2014
Found this on my last hunt on Sunday at a old home site surrounded by feilds. I found this in one of my holes right against the feilds and was curious if anyone thinks what I've heard on it? At first I thought it was a pipe stem but my good friend Luke told me that it looks like it wasn't imported and possibly a Native American pipe stem...he said that he's heard of them being made out of red clay before too. Could this possibly be that? This was also found in a town that was flooded with Native Americans for thousands of years and people have been finding hundreds of arrow heads in the towns feilds. This is also not to far away from where o found my first arrow head too. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Any info or just anyone's in take is greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The double hole is interesting too, I found a colonial white clay pipe with that same double hole. I think it could be Native OR a pipe made here in the USA in colonial times. I think Native though but I know next to nothing about this stuff.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most native pipes that I have found or have examined were carved and that one appears to have been molded and fired. A molded fired clay pipe would work but I haven't seen one in plains cultures. Most European pipes though appear to have been fired clay. Look down the bore of the piece. Native pipes were drilled out, piece of cane with sand would work, and the hole will gradually narrow. You will see rings on the wall of the hole. Nice find.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Formed clay pipes, some tempered with shell or just clay are common on Eastern sites in a variety of shapes and effigies, yours looks to be one. English and French pipes were made from a mold. Good find!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking of it as the bowl-end fragment of a pipe.
Big opening, flared-end, and the other end,
a small hole....
Made of clay???
...then, easily replaceable.
Made out of stone, then it would take longer to make.

OP
OP
Pennsylvania Treasures
Sep 14, 2014
Most native pipes that I have found or have examined were carved and that one appears to have been molded and fired. A molded fired clay pipe would work but I haven't seen one in plains cultures. Most European pipes though appear to have been fired clay. Look down the bore of the piece. Native pipes were drilled out, piece of cane with sand would work, and the hole will gradually narrow. You will see rings on the wall of the hole. Nice find.

Thank you very much for the information! I just uploaded some more pictures of it cleaned up!

OP
OP
Pennsylvania Treasures
Sep 14, 2014
Formed clay pipes, some tempered with shell or just clay are common on Eastern sites in a variety of shapes and effigies, yours looks to be one. English and French pipes were made from a mold. Good find!

Thank you! I believe it is Native American because of how crude and handmade it is and you can see the two holes are different sizes.

OP
OP
Pennsylvania Treasures
Sep 14, 2014
I'm thinking of it as the bowl-end fragment of a pipe.
Big opening, flared-end, and the other end,
a small hole....
Made of clay???
...then, easily replaceable.
Made out of stone, then it would take longer to make.

Thanks! I'm thinking it might be the bowl end too. Just uploaded some more pictures!

OP
OP
Pennsylvania Treasures
Sep 14, 2014
The double hole is interesting too, I found a colonial white clay pipe with that same double hole. I think it could be Native OR a pipe made here in the USA in colonial times. I think Native though but I know next to nothing about this stuff.

Thanks Isaac! I'm sure of it being hand made after cleaning it up. You cave see how crude it is and how the two holes are different sizes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread