Daily storms finally turned up an agate point

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Western Washington, but was brought in from the south. Appears to have been in a camp fire..

DSCN3156.JPG

DSCN3149.JPG

DSCN3151.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is simply awe inspiring. I want one made out of that material too. Congrats on a beauty!

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Wow! That is a great addition to any collection! Love the old, battered, burnt look of it. Adds character & good pics. Congrats!

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Nice find. Don't know about in your area but the tips of arrowheads,drills, and gravers, etc. were sometimes fire tempered like steel is nowadays to give them a more resilient point or cutting edge and sometimes the color change was just due to the material that was being worked.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shame on the tip but still nice enough for a frame imo.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "sheen" on that is simply amazing! Broken or not, still a "gemstone" to me!!!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful point! Congrats!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
unclemac - any guesses on type?

I would be pretty confident in calling that a Wallula Gap. Or even more specifically, Wallula Gap Rectangular Stemmed. 1,000 to 200 BP. Notice the slightly flared ears, the one ear just a bit longer than the other but not so much as a Gunther. And of course that unmistakable squared off stem. Plus...just look at that material...classic.

Sure does seem out of place for your beach, but hey...I find a lot of stuff too that has no business being outside its cultural area. Makes me wonder if points were traded, and not just raw materials. Really nice piece...green with envy...Did find a nice pink agate one-off scraper/knife the other day...not much flaking but a really nice stone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wal...ved=0ahUKEwjCuYiB8_DJAhUPzmMKHUzQDSgQ_AUIBygC

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
I would be pretty confident in calling that a Wallula Gap. Or even more specifically, Wallula Gap Rectangular Stemmed. 1,000 to 200 BP. Notice the slightly flared ears, the one ear just a bit longer than the other but not so much as a Gunther. And of course that unmistakable squared off stem. Plus...just look at that material...classic.

Sure does seem out of place for your beach, but hey...I find a lot of stuff too that has no business being outside its cultural area. Makes me wonder if points were traded, and not just raw materials. Really nice piece...green with envy...Did find a nice pink agate one-off scraper/knife the other day...not much flaking but a really nice stone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wal...ved=0ahUKEwjCuYiB8_DJAhUPzmMKHUzQDSgQ_AUIBygC

Thanks unclemac. When I first found it, I was thinking Wallula Gap. Then I compared it to another Wallula Gap arrowhead I had found a couple years ago, and the ears on this one are more flared than the other one. Got to looking at points online and saw a case of that was supposed to be all Gunthers and at least a quarter of them looked closer to this one... so got to thinking that maybe it was a variant between the two.

Yes, Wallula Gap is hundreds of miles away. As unlikely as it may seem, most of the finished agate/wood artifacts I've found here came from the Saddle mountains to Wallula Gap area down through the Columbia River Gorge, and from central Oregon. I've found 1 complete obsidian point and a couple of larger obsidian pieces, one 2 1/4" broken, that could have only come from central Oregon. I talked to another collector here that showed me a perfect agate "small desert side notch" from southern Oregon/N. California that she found near-by.

So my theory is that this was a trading area, and/or meeting/potlatch area, and that the points and tools that made the long trip were mostly fnished or performs.

For those that have never been to Wallula Gap on the Columbia River:

Wallula Gap.jpg

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
yeah, I don't find much obsidian either and when I do I know it came from somewhere else. But I have found obsidian "Cascade" points that suggest trade of many thousands of years back. What a lot of folks don't realize is that some of the stuff we see on this forum was ancient before the pyramids were built.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions