Calling ourselves Americans is not exactly right.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are a country that that does not have a name for it's people.

Mexicans, Canadians, Colombians, are all "Americans" because they live in North or South America.

This was pointed out to me years ago by a smart ass customs worker, that told me America is not a country, but 2 continents. Of course I knew that, but never really thought about it.

Russians, Italians, Polish......simple.

We are "United statesians" , "United States of Americans".....simply Americans isn't exactly right.

A little help?:icon_scratch:

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amerigo Vespucci NOR columbus actually "discovered america"

1. There is proof that Vikings settled closer to "North America" than Columbus, and earlier.
2. How do you "discover" a place that people already live?

I guess 'Americans' is a kind of accepted anachronism. Like how the Aboriginal peoples of North America are still called 'Indians' when we now know that they are not.

Some things just stick.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have told the smart ass customs worker that he can call himself anything he wants. I'm American and proud of it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have told the smart ass customs worker that he can call himself anything he wants. I'm American and proud of it.

well grizzly bears are native only to North America

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We ARE AMERICANS and i am proud to be one! There is 2 americas, north and south continents. We are the UNITED STATED OF AMERICA and have earned our name americans when we won our independence from British rule.
Mexicans, canadians and such are NOT americans, they are as there name implies mexican ( mexico) and canadians ( canada aka north americans). Unless they are legal immigrants or natural born in the GREAT US of A.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these names and labels do, is keep us divided and warring! It gives one implied superiority to think he is above another.
We are all people and citizens of planet EARTH!
It would be nice if ALL understood the true definition of "neighbor", and acted as good ones.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All these names and labels do, is keep us divided and warring! It gives one implied superiority to think he is above another.
It would be nice if ALL understood the true definition of "neighbor", and acted as good ones.

You must be one of those evil Liberals with a capital L!!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

Hmm..not like a United Statian to twist the truth to his own beliefs..is it? :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
We ARE AMERICANS and i am proud to be one! There is 2 americas, north and south continents. We are the UNITED STATED OF AMERICA and have earned our name americans when we won our independence from British rule.
Mexicans, canadians and such are NOT americans, they are as there name implies mexican ( mexico) and canadians ( canada aka north americans). Unless they are legal immigrants or natural born in the GREAT US of A.

[h=2]Amer·i·can[/h] noun \ə-ˈmer-ə-kən, -ˈmər-, -ˈme-rə-\

[h=2]Definition of AMERICAN[/h]1
: an American Indian of North America or South America

: a native or inhabitant of North America or South America

: a citizen of the United States

Welcome to the site. I'm having a "sabbatical" right now so will ignore the rest of your post! :)

Truth is....you're all "Yanks"! That's the used terminology of the (English speaking) outside world.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
We are a country that that does not have a name for it's people.

Mexicans, Canadians, Colombians, are all "Americans" because they live in North or South America.

This was pointed out to me years ago by a smart ass customs worker, that told me America is not a country, but 2 continents. Of course I knew that, but never really thought about it.

Russians, Italians, Polish......simple.

We are "United statesians" , "United States of Americans".....simply Americans isn't exactly right.

A little help?:icon_scratch:

CENTRAL America...?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Welcome to the site. I'm having a "sabbatical" right now so will ignore the rest of your post! :)

Truth is....you're all "Yanks"! That's the used terminology of the (English speaking) outside world.

I think you and the custom's clerk are just jealous......

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Yep. Yanks pretty much is it. As we were described by the Btitish-we were overpaid, oversexed and over there,,,

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very well Said Pat !

although I can't always say I'm proud of it,
I've always considered myself "Earthling" & in most cases when asked on forms/questionares
where I don't need to worry about a midnight attack by the PC police,
with 3 letters on their backs and black masks, for being honest.
I do check "other" & write in "Earthling"

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amer·i·can

noun \ə-ˈmer-ə-kən, -ˈmər-, -ˈme-rə-\

Definition of AMERICAN

what about Central America Dano :( you forgot a whole group :(

as for being a "Yank" ? I have Not, an interest in being on a Baseball team from New york
or anywhere else , so I can't consider myself a "Yankee". a Fellow Human Being ? Maybe :tongue3:

"sabbatical" Huh ? Self imposed ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Yanks pretty much is it. As we were described by the Btitish-we were overpaid, oversexed and over there,,,

Actually I believe our forefathers* (*sorry, I hate that designation also) were made up of the
Prudish, devious,
and uneducated group who didn't want to conform to the laws of their countries,
or live law free either. everyone wanted to be king, so in order to do this they came here with the Ideal,
they would be Free to judge everyone around them.
They would be proud how things turned out, considering they lost the fight against
Witchcraft* (*battle to silence women), and other beliefs they were against. :icon_thumright: after all they can look over us & see the jails full
of people, and Judges getting paid good money to keep them filled :laughing7:

Last edited:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
I think you andf the custom's clerk are just jealous......

You mispelled "Educated"!

@Jeff - Don't blame me for Central America. It's from "Websters", that's your version of the English language, so blame him! A guy who learns 26 languages just to write a book that's already been in circulation for ages AND forgets central America....just can't be trusted i guess!

As for "yanks"?...You yank's are masters at laziness and chopping everything to it's barest form before using it, we just follow suit. Besides, once again don't blame me, blame George M. Cohan and Jimmy Cagney!!

Yeah Sabbatical, self imposed due to illness. Feeling better now. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread