campground hunt and 6 new happy campers

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
hello all,

the other day a swept through a playground and got 5 dimes and 4 pennies, with a fake gold heart ear ring on the side (first picture)

Today (second picture) I went to a campground and checked out the playground, (the swimming lake/beach was closed till nest weekend) I found a lot of coins right of the bat. After an hour or so of beeping the local kids started to gather. They stayed really close, so I started to give them whatever was popping out of the ground. Then they really got excited so I dug the holes as 6 kids took turns with my detector. It was great to see them wonder what was next to dig up. I tell ya they didn't mind that they were pulling pull tabs & bottle caps. There ages were between 6-12 tops. 5 girls and a boy. The boy wanted all of the bottle caps except the ones he already had in his collection. One of the girls dads save the pull tabs, so I gave her a bunch of those. They would get close to the chain link fence and want to start digging, I explained that they were detecting the fence, so just to make sure they would swing the detector in the air by the fence to see that it was the same signal. The item that got them all excited though was an old screw type fuse they kept, sorry not in pic. So I dug holes with them for about 2 hours, they each found a coin or too. I tries to direct them to the sand lots, but they wanted to stay by a fence where the picnic tables were under pine trees, so I new we would get alot of those bottle caps and pull tabs, and we did. Only half of the pull tabs in the pic are what I found earlier, they got the other half. The weather was nice and it was very fullfilling to see the kids amazement with what they were finding. It's great to share a wonderful hobby and it was great to be with very well behaved and respectful kids.

thank you and happy hunting

Attachments

• P1011472.JPG
    P1011472.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 529
  • P1011471.JPG
    P1011471.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 535
Upvote 0

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
That's a good story; I had almost the same thing happen Saturday. When the kids saw me finding coins they started tearing the sand up looking for money...needless to say I had to wait for them to calm down and go back to their playing before I could finish...lol

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rumblebelly,
Great story and good finds. Gotta love kids that get excited over the simplest of things. My son was having a blast detecting with me this weekend, and he's 18. He dug mostly bottle caps, but did find a condom lid and an old can opener.

HH and keep up the good PR for the hobby ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread