Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was on my carport, never seen anything like it before. He was slithering his tongue, did not curl up to fight. I've seen fishing worms bigger.

p8040165 (2).jpg
Top...notice the yellow band at his head​
p8040167 (2).jpg
Bottom - speckled​
p8040168 (3).jpg
A little closer shot of the head​

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to Be a ringneck.

If it is, it's Harmless

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, y'all are quick to ID this thing. Thanks, Jeff!! I feel bad cause he's dead now...moi does not like snakes period. You ought to see my lab right now, he ran down a moccasin yesterday evening and was bitten. I noticed the swelling last night and removed his collar. Ranger goes out of his way to locate moccasins/cottonmouths (they have some odor) that dogs can scent them out.

:wink: RR

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Jeff: I'd suggest searching for more of those critters. They could be raised commercially...Would be killers on largemouth bass. Hooked up on a weedless hook and let em' squirm. Oh boy!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
HOLA amigos - don't feel too bad about the little snake; they are very VERY numerous, one estimate is 700 to 1800 per hectare or 300+ to an acre. They do their job of exterminating insect pests and are harmless so no need to go killing them, but the loss of one is not going to make a big dent in the population.

I could tell you a story about these ringneck snakes that would test your belief. My mother had bought a new carpet for her living room and asked me to help installing it, so I went over to lend a hand. We had the carpet laid out on her lawn marking and cutting to fit to the room, and suddenly little snakes (ringnecks) started climbing onto the new rug! My mother hated snakes and had quite a job trying to get rid of these little buggers, as fast as they could be swept up more and more kept crawling out of the grass and leaves onto the rug. We lost count of how many there were but without exaggerating there were well over 100! I had never seen a ringneck snake prior to that day. What I still cannot figure out to this day, was what on earth ever made those little snakes be so attracted to a new carpet? It was a powder blue shag-type, did have a little bit of a 'formaldehyde' smell but would that attract a snake? Strange but true, I swear!

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you all find the treasures that you seek.
your friend,
Oroblanco

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Oroblanco, does that ringneck snake catchin trick only work in South Dakota?

Battery, cables, and stakes DOES work good for fishin worms!

Best

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread