can i covert a gas generator to run with a waterwheel

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
thinking about removing a gas motor and using a water wheel to run a generator. because it is all wired up for 110v or 12 volt, with pulleys i could get any rpms i need, the wheel is about 5 feet in dia, and a good moving river. so what am i missing? just thinking out loud. oh and i would be running a jack shaft to the generator on the shore to keep it dry. thanks brad

Last edited:

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
It could probably be done but at what cost. If you check youtube, someone has probably already tried it or at least something similar. I've seen some pretty interesting setups on youtube.

Shooting from teh hip on this but if it is an inverter gen set you may be OK, if one of the older ones that depend on motor rpm then probably not so much.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
yes, theres a lot of crazy and helpful stuff, thanks for your in put.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be able to get a DC alternator and turn it in 110v off a water wheel. I am sure it will depend on the RPM's you are producing. There has to be a product out there for this.
I want to se pics when you are done.
We thought of using a water wheel to barbecue a pig ! Lol

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This sounds like an interesting project. I too would like to see some pictures of this, when complete or better yet at stages of development.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a cool fun project. I would think as long as your water flow is pretty stable and you do the math to turn your shaft 3000rpm-ish you'll be rocking it🤘
Keep us posted! Wish I was around to help🤠

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a man with a plan

Attachments

• waterwheel04ntbkp149665p.jpg
    waterwheel04ntbkp149665p.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 21

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could probably be done but at what cost. If you check youtube, someone has probably already tried it or at least something similar. I've seen some pretty interesting setups on youtube.

Shooting from teh hip on this but if it is an inverter gen set you may be OK, if one of the older ones that depend on motor rpm then probably not so much.
This I think is a GREAT POST !!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be able to get a DC alternator and turn it in 110v off a water wheel. I am sure it will depend on the RPM's you are producing. There has to be a product out there for this.
I want to se pics when you are done.
We thought of using a water wheel to barbecue a pig ! Lol
ANOTHER GREAT IDEA !!

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
hey guys, i didnt want to leave you guys hanging, this project is not going forward , my friend decided to do some else. thanks for all the infor , take care, brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread