Finding Civil War Sites to Detect?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!
I (accidentally) dug my 4th CW .69 Cal 3-ring Minie Ball, at a nearby homesite, a couple of days ago. I say accidentally, because I have NO IDEA how to find Civil War artifacts (on purpose) in my area of NW Missouri. So, occasionally I stumble onto a CW item, but only rarely.
I saw a guy who posted tons of photos of bullets, buttons and buckles, a week ago, on a local forum. When I PM'ed him to ask about the research necessary to locate the sites to hunt (he apparently seeks out campsites), he merely said: 'You can search for "Civil War in (your/or nearby) County MO" or something similar.'
I tried that, but it failed miserably.
So, can anyone on here offer a USABLE method of doing research for Civil War activities/movements/battles/campsites/etc. near my area?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
BTW- Any bullet experts who can tell me what (exactly) this one is?
Thanks in advance for any help!
John

Attachments

• 01-09-23 Ron Covey's 1860 Hunt- Best2.jpg
    01-09-23 Ron Covey's 1860 Hunt- Best2.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 01-09-23 Ron Covey's 1860 Hunt- Best.jpg
    01-09-23 Ron Covey's 1860 Hunt- Best.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Map maps and diaries . Here is one of the books I used."

Official Military Atlas of the Civil War​

Give me a county and I will give you a map..
Sites are easy permission is hard.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Civil war" bullets are found all over the country with no CW provenance. Most of the guns used in the civil war were sold off as army surplus since the US military changed to cartridge firearms shortly after the war. Muzzle loading firearms were used in many areas right into the early 20th century. Many folks hunted with .58 and .69 rifles for decades after the war. There are many more bullets in the ground in this country from hunting and target practice than all the battles combined.

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Map maps and diaries . Here is one of the books I used."

Official Military Atlas of the Civil War​

Give me a county and I will give you a map..
Sites are easy permission is hard.
Thanks a bunch! I PM'ed you!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My BEST CW items were found on sites that aren't in the official books. The ones no one can easily look up. The BEST site was found by sheer accident.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
County histories are a great resource, around they were written 1870-90. Sanford fire maps are great for cities, right down to well sites. Bend your mind that a little patch of ground you never gave a thought was a hub of activity 100+ years ago.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best CW site, as far as good stuff goes, I found when I asked back in 2016 if I could detect my best friend's newly purchased farm. I found nothing good the first two times out. THEN the fireworks started! THEN I found the troops moved through there during the Gettysburg campaign, but only through word of mouth from the locals.

PartisanRanger

Feb 17, 2018
Farmington, Missouri
Detector(s) used
2@Garrett Master Hunter CXIII with depth multiplier, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett pro pinpointer, Garrett Ace Apex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!
I (accidentally) dug my 4th CW .69 Cal 3-ring Minie Ball, at a nearby homesite, a couple of days ago. I say accidentally, because I have NO IDEA how to find Civil War artifacts (on purpose) in my area of NW Missouri. So, occasionally I stumble onto a CW item, but only rarely.
I saw a guy who posted tons of photos of bullets, buttons and buckles, a week ago, on a local forum. When I PM'ed him to ask about the research necessary to locate the sites to hunt (he apparently seeks out campsites), he merely said: 'You can search for "Civil War in (your/or nearby) County MO" or something similar.'
I tried that, but it failed miserably.
So, can anyone on here offer a USABLE method of doing research for Civil War activities/movements/battles/campsites/etc. near my area?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
BTW- Any bullet experts who can tell me what (exactly) this one is?
Thanks in advance for any help!
John
Read your post. I can offer you some help with your dilemma. PM me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread