Can I get a Excalibur that works..PLEASE !!

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the new ex cal. ll and after hunting with it had a lot of issues with it giving false signals. I then discovered that if I hit the coil with my hand it would go off, so I knew something was wrong. I sent it back to minelab and ten days later I got it back. They said they replaced the coil, pc board , and some other things. Took it to the beach and again I had problems with the false signals and acting crazy, not as bad but still not right. I contacted JW at Kellyco where I bought it and he agreed to take it back and was sending me a brand new one again.

The new one came yesterday. I set it up on my Anderson straight shaft and charged the battery for 16 hours and headed to Naples beach with my buddy Erick. I didn't even have the coil in the water 5 seconds and knew that this machine was messed up also. Very erratic and falsing like the other. Man this is driving me crazy, anyone else having trouble with them? I am very curious.

I have been detecting for over thirty five years and yes I know what I am doing and I know when a machine is bad. Erick has been for just as long if not longer and he tried it and agreed. I tried all of the setting that GH and others said too and even tried all kinds of others to no avail. Erick has the 800 and 1000 ex cal. in the older model. He let me use his 1000 and I hunted all day and it purred like a kitten.

I really want to stick with the DD coil because I hunt large areas of the beach always in the water and I feel this machine would give me the most coverage. At this point I am so close to saying keep the ex cal. and send me the beachunter 300, but I really want the ex cal.

So again today I shipped it back. JW was off so I will call him Monday and see what he wants to do next.... I know I am just venting.... But it feels good ...

Upvote 0

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 , Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Explorer SE
I am sure you must have thought of this but just in case.... Is your sensitivity too high?

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Bill ,, sorry to here about the problems have them put the tornado coil on it ,,,, cotton was having issues as well he sent it to minelab and told the he wanted the tornado coil ,, BAM,,, problem solved ,,, good luck Guzz1

Cavedweller

May 6, 2008
Bill - I find the excal II to be a highly sensitive machine it is really sensitive to changes in tempature to
waves washing over it and crap in the water mine does the same thing and I have to turn the sensitivity down real low and slowly turn it up to the point of instability and but I like running mine in
auto but I can't always do that when the conditions are bad, I'll give you a call sometime this weekend
there were some other things I wanted to talk to you about so I'll talk to you soon - Cavedweller

OP
OP
FloridaBill

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried all kinds of different settings and it is a issue with the coil or machine. I also think today's problem was water leaking into the wire or coil as when I tested it on dry land it worked find the minute I entered the water trouble. Hunting all day with Erick's machine ex cal 1000 no problem.

Got home erick and I tried it again fine on land went to my boat ramp away from any targets entered it into the water slow and it was fine, moved it a little fast back and forth and went crazy again.

I have heard about them switching coils but I don't want the heavier coil, and when you pay over $1,000.00 for a machine it should work when you use it. You shouldn't have to send it anywhere to have anything done, it should just plain work.........

I know I am not a brain surgeon but I don't have to be to know that these machines were screwed up and not user error.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear your having the issues. They come with all machines pretty much. Sounds like you may have gotten more than your share though. Hope to see you up and running soon.

DaChief

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seriously thinking about getting one but this makes me a little aprehensive . . .

Hopefully you get yours squared away, nothing worse than missing opportunities to detect because your $1,000.00 machine is falsing.

Let us know how the next one is. :icon_pirat:

HH, Mark

Cavedweller

May 6, 2008
Yeah That's a bummer Bill I know I would be pissed off and disappointed I'am sorry to hear your having
so much trouble but don't give up on the Excal because I'am sure that they will make it right and I would be asking for some compensation for all of your grief - I'll talk to you this weekend when it's free
but I would give em one more chance but that's about it - Cavedweller

Ozzygold

Jan 9, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites PI Surf
I know how frustrating it can be with a bad machine, I really hope they get it right for you.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey Bill are you sure you don't own a CZ21 ???? Im have the exacted same problem with my fisher,,,

I feel your pain brother,,,, Guzz1

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry to hear of anyone having trouble with the detectors they buy. It is compounded when you pay so much for a piece of crap that won't work like it is supposed too. These manufactures keep trying to cut corners with cheaper materials probably from China and we get stuck with the bill.

I hope Kellyco can make this right with you so You can get out there an hunt. Keep us posted on the results please. It might help someone else that wishes to buy one.

Good Luck,
Sandman

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II
Like I said, this does nothing to instill consumer confidence in a companies product.

When I asked my local dealer about this he said he hadn't heard of any defects coming thru with the new machines.......but then, when I arrived to pick mine up, it was defective right out of the box.

My dealer made mine right, I hope yours can be made right too, that is why I wanted a local dealer, someone I could harass if the occasion presented itself.

My second Excal has had no issues, I hope the same can be said for your forth.

GL/HH

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Bill,Sorry to hear that you are having that many problems with the Excal.
One time would be bad,but more than once is frustrating.I wish JW
could just bring a hand full to the nearest beach and try them till you got
one that worked for you .I love my Excal,and would hate to think about
switching if I had to buy a new machine.I wish when something works fine,
a company would not fool with it.You know the old saying"If it ain't broke,
don't fix it".(or supposedly improve it).The only change I would have liked
is the Ikelite fittings for the headphones,so you could change/replace them
without returning them to the company.
By the way Bill,how did you do at Naples beach.Good luck on the next
machine.HH Joe

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Bill you are so right,it should work flawlessly out of the box,,,, guz1

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey Bill did your MD Come yet // I'll Be at Siesta Key about 8 this morning for a quick spin. if want come on up .. you too Ralph..... Guzz1

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
FloridaBill,

your decision to go with the BHID 300 (same as the BHID with the Super 12) is a solid choice!

If you liked your older BHID, you're really going to like this one!!! :thumbsup:

Hits like my CZ20, seems much lighter, is much better balanced, MADE 100% IN THE USA!!! :wink: :D ;D :thumbsup:

Overeasy

May 7, 2008
Florida Bill, I have been reading your remarks with some interest. I am a newbee but have the same type of beach search area (East Coast Florida) that you do down in Naples. I'll be dry and wet. I am interested in a Ex II (probably get it from Kellyco) I'm not sure I understand how you modified the MD. I assume the 10" coil, what else did you do and would you do something else. I know there are those folks who are happy with their ExII's ,but you seem to have had some problems but are trying to seem them through. Just wondering your thoughts??????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread