Can I have some opinions

Cache Hunter in NY

Mar 15, 2005
Fort Drum NY
Hi I just want an opinion on this metal detector I just ordered it yesterday and it is my first one so I am not really to sure how good it is but after some research this is the one I decided to get does anyone else own one and can give me some tips? It is a multi purpose metal detector and I believe that means jewelery relics and coinsbut I know it doesn't mean water. Since it is not water proof I was just curious how close I can get to water and still be safe?
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/titan/titan2000xdbuy.htm

~Angela

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better look again, it's only the coil that is "claimed" to be waterproof.

Here's their exact phrase taken from their site

"Waterproof shielded High power spider searchcoil"

OP
OP
Cache Hunter in NY

Cache Hunter in NY

Mar 15, 2005
Fort Drum NY
Thank you for that site I tried to find other sites that had the titan2000XD and I could never find it. It was real helpful. Do this should be ok to use to search the shorelines?

~Angela

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say with a little silicon added around the connetor point where the wire inserts into the coil for added leak proof protection, and you'll be fine to search up to and into the water ankle deep or so.

(Just my opinion) - check all info in the owners manual to be sure.

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lonewolf, you scared me there for a minute! ?Okay, maybe longer that a minute because I order the 3000xd on Monday...

I called Kellyco and talked to a tech, and the shaft is waterproof up to the control box. ?As long as that does not get wet, it should be fine. ?She also suggested the baggie method as a cover while searching in water so it does not get splashed on. ?Hope this helps! ?I know I feel better!

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the 2000xd is waterproof up to the box. But as far as how deep they go, you'll have to get other opinions. I'm a newbie. But I did decide if anything happens to it while detecting in water...that little piggie will go back to the market! Sherpa t said his 3000 went about 8.5 deep, 2" above ground, with 6.5 underground. Also search this site for the 'Titan2000xd' and see if there are other opinions about it. That helped me with my decision. I found nothing but good about the 3000xd. Also, 1st Texas makes the Bounty Hunters, and there are lots of good reviews on those.

Seablue

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully an experienced hunter will attest to that question, but I ordered the 10" coil also, which is SUPPOSED to go deeper. Also depends on what machine you have & how experienced you are. Good luck hunting!

Seablue

OP
OP
Cache Hunter in NY

Cache Hunter in NY

Mar 15, 2005
Fort Drum NY
Well the 2000 is supposed to go extra deep too but I guess it can only go up to 8" Hopefully I didn't just buy a bottom of the line detector by getting the titan 2000 XD

~Angela

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Hello Noobs! :) You will soon learn that most of your finds will be well within the capability(8") of your machine. While there are some coins that are buried deeply, a lot of them are not. Don't get caught up in the depth fever craze. Depth is just one aspect. I would rather have a machine that can discriminate very well, than a machine that can detect a metal object a 15", but not be able to distinguish between a coin and a piece of iron. The most important thing right now, in your beginning stage, is to get out and learn your machine if you want to get the most out of it and this hobby. Read the manual. When you think that you understand what the manual is telling you, read it again. Try making adjustments to your machine in a test environment and out in the field. Learn what you machine is trying to tell you through the different sounds .Proficiency will come with use. It may take some time and sometimes it can be frustrating, but it will come.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I might menition that a lot of folks have ruined their detectors by droping them into the surf. There is a reason why folks buy Minelab excaliburs and Fisher CZ-20s which are waterproof. Also it is possible that your detector may not be suitable for a salt environment- Any feedback from folks using one at the beach?

Sorry I can not advise you on your detector as I am an experienced user(40years)and do not purchase entry level detectors.

I would recommend that you expand your knowledge and visit other forum sites-especially brand forum sites. Learn what new models have been introduced and what is "hot" and what is new. Better low end machines are now being produced by the major players. Just look at the Tesoro Cibola for only $320. Usually after the"hype" phase you get good data on depth and discrimination from users. I think you would be surprised what is out there which is not in the Kellyco catalog.

George

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Can't recall seeing any Titan users around here. They are part of the newer entry level mfr boom. And yes, things that are 6 inches deep can be found but as DD-Dave points out, there's a world of goodies out here less than 6 inches deep amid a world of trash. Get to know those machines in your yard first before hitting the beach so you will be able to tell if they are just making noise in the more salty and sandy sites. And let us know how the new hobby goes!

OP
OP
Cache Hunter in NY

Cache Hunter in NY

Mar 15, 2005
Fort Drum NY
I talked to the guy from KellyCo last nightand he said that the titan2000XD is good for beginners and it will be able to detect things fromthe civil war and from the native americans since the first area I am searching is where I grew upand that is ancient indian burrial ground and a site of the civil war. I also got permission to hunt on post here at ft drum but I think I might pass on that. The answer I got was "Go ahead but watch our for mines" I guess at ft drum there is a chance of burried mines because it is an extremly old post. But he said I could go search the hanger and I really want to so I will see on tuesday if my urge to detect beats my fear of landmines. And I plan on staying away from water for a bit anyway I have like 50 acres to cover before I go to the beaches and that will take me a long long time since I can only do it like 4 days a month when I go to my parents house.

~Angela

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
I wish I could still hunt on military post's.. they are great for detecting. The first place I would go on post searching is where the inverted low crawl area was at the PT test areal.. it looks really screwy to see, but it was a part of the PT test everyone had to take every year.

OP
OP
Cache Hunter in NY

Cache Hunter in NY

Mar 15, 2005
Fort Drum NY
I am really thinking about doing it. I have a great opportunity to search this area and I think I would feel like an idiot to pass it up. My husbands platoon leader said I could search in common areas just not in people's yards which is a given yards here have to be kept perfect. I kind of want to get permission to search around "old post" because they are WW II barracks. I think I am going to try to dig up as much as possible. Wish me luck with not hitting a land mine. LoL

~Angela

E

eggilbert

Speaking of the MineLabs, does anyone know if the XS is waterproof?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its water "Resistant" but NOT Water "Proof" only the Coil is Water Proof

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in central Minnesota and will be doing on freshwater boat accesses, lake & river beaches and maybe along the Mississippi where accessible. Others are going have to give you the saltwater opinion. The 3000xd is new for 2005, so the 2000 must be the 2004 model. The beach is a loooonnng way from here! Someday I would like to see it again! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread