Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
went to a new spot metal detecting sunday

the property owner says that eleanor roosevelt use to ride her horse on the property

then i found this sliver art deco brooch

note the great seal at the bottom

2018-07-16 006.JPG

this could really be a gift giving to one of the best first lady's this country has ever had
i am waiting for some more information from The Historian of the U.S. Department of State.

Last edited:
Upvote 85

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little info.....As a youngster I lived and grew up about 1.5 miles from val kill >> https://www.nps.gov/elro/index.htm
I've Been at Val Kill Many times w/ Sally Roosevelt .Never once seen Eleanor around their horses .Never seen her the least bit interested in them.What I do remember (as a kid) two guys always at the front door,dressed to the "T"s (in black).... Looking back,I'm sure now they were Secret Service.
At this time,(around 1959) The Roosevelt family were given a gift (from some foreign country leader) .Of two Matching palomino horses. Sally Took them under her belt with tender love and care, She LOVED to ride ,they became HER horses.She,Sally would saddle them up,drive & lead them to my house,and pick me up.From there, we would ride through the woods (on a old unused, dirt road that connected Rt 9G to Rt. 9 ,which came out directly in front of the Roosevelt home & library. Ah,those were the best of times:) Simply a platonic relationship.Both sharing the love of riding...........Around August 1960 sadly, Sally went to riding school (See the pix. I posted earlier # 36 this thread ) ,To learn how to Jump.She fell off the horse,broke her neck,and I was devastated.
Also, I was invited to Eleanore's funeral .I'll have to find Pix. of it....

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fmerg, I know it's difficult to get crisp pictures, but if you could try I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the left rear leg. It looks bent up.

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the left rear leg is damaged

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is Fala here is some info. I searched image of Elanor and her dog but did not see the pin also searched her riding horses.
He was so popular that he received thousands of letters from people. He even needed to have a secretary appointed to him to answer his mail. One letter dated August 5, 1947, was from a poodle named Abigail. Fala chased a skunk once, which was very unpleasant for everyone. The poodle scolded Fala for not acting with more intelligence and dignity. Abigail hoped that Fala would never, ever let that unfortunate incident be repeated.
In 1942, a movie was made about Fala and his life in Hyde Park. Children and other visitors who come to the Roosevelt Museum and Library in Hyde Park, New York still enjoy watching it today.
Fala is probably the only president pet to be memorialized in statuary. A statue of Fala stands next to one of FDR at the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial in Washington D.C.

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i am waiting for some more information from The Historian of the U.S. Department of State.

UPDATE: received letter stating that the brooch was in fact gifted to eleanor roosevelt and she re gifted it to a 14 year old girl she meet while riding
name of the girl was unknown....:)

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: received letter stating that the brooch was in fact gifted to eleanor roosevelt and she re gifted it to a 14 year old girl she meet while riding

Keep that documentation!!!!

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
brooch and letter sent to a collector in GA

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Makes sense. Eleanor Roosevelt was a people person. A brooch improperly fastened to a 14yo riding a horse is just begging to be lost, at least it was found eventually - 70+ years later, wonder if the 14yo girl is still alive today. Banner :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read the entire thread, congrats on a great find, I'm glad you got the letter stating it was in fact the first ladies piece. My banner vote went in, I never seen this thread until this morning, congrats!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is fabulous and so banner worthy! She was the Matriarch of the Dems for many years and if you didn't get hear approval you didn't get the job!

Best wishes----Phil

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the girls name was unknown according to the letter

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like there is a very strong possibility here. Congrats and Best of luck!

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i contacted the roosevelt museum in hyde park it is just across the river from me
the first piece to have the Great seal attached was a cigar box that was gifted to him

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is such a cool find. I forget but do you know around what date it was given to the girl? Maybe you can use social media to find the girl or a surviving family member. It would be so cool to get that back into the girls hands.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story is interesting. My family had several fairly well known facilities in upstate NY in the 1940’s that public figures would visit. This would be near Putnum Valley, NY. Never heard of presidential family visiting, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread