Can power lines actually hurt a machine?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if anyone knows if power line interference can mess up the calibration in a machine.I noticed sometimes if I get too close or at a certain angle to power lines, my machine tone bounces all around with false signals and some static.I know if I turn my sensitivity down,it helps block some of it out.But I am wondering if it can actually be bad for a machine? Every time I get around them I think something is wrong with my machine.Nothing like false signals everywhere!joe

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, it will not damage your electronics.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DI2 , I know Pulse Induction machines can react badly around power lines due to the effect of E.M.I , even distant Thunder storms can cause havoc on these machines , not so sure with the VLF machines but is possible , guess some one with experience will chip in with the answers ..cheers Mick

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just avoid touching two lines at once

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DI2 , I know Pulse Induction machines can react badly around power lines due to the effect of E.M.I , even distant Thunder storms can cause havoc on these machines , not so sure with the VLF machines but is possible , guess some one with experience will chip in with the answers ..cheers Mick
Glad you brought up Thunder storms!That is something else I have always wondered, if a turned on Detector can attract lightning?Dont want to be out there like Benjamin Franklin flying a kite:weather_lightning:

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm amused. Boiled down to the basics, a metal detector is nothing but an induction machine. When conductive materials are brought within the detectors field, phase shift and frequency offset in the inductors are the primary results. The innards, detect these changes, and report to the user in a variety of ways. They can be an analog, digital, or a combination. They all do a fairly good job at what they were designed for, with some consideration as to sophistication and therefore price. Just as important is what they aren't!

While they operate from audio to low radio spectrum frequencies, and are susceptible to nearby electrical fields, they're not lighting rods any more than a golf club is. When you're out in a flat field with no trees (ala golf course), it is best not to be there when there is lightning about!

Damageable by nearby sources of electromagnet devices? Probably not, unless the electromagnetic field is strong enough to zap your body like standing in front of a radar!

It is clear to me, that not too many of my fellow detectorists, really know what goes on inside their chosen detector? Maybe, there should be a discussion forum to propagate factual information therein, and not wive's tales.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So leaving a low energy source like a battery is ok? I once did a experiment with some high tension lines running across my fathers property and the multimeter I was using to test for spikes was fried in my hands. I dont claim to know or be a expert, but I would not do it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I hunt I can't see over the condos to the western sky but I can always tell you from the false tones in my headset when those afternoon lightening storms are brewing and moving in. :laughing7:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All forms of electrical interference can affect VLF and PI metal detectors to some degree.

Your question as to whether it affects the calibration of a metal detector is a two fold answer. No it wont affect the internal circuitry. Yes it will affect your calibration~ ground balance, sensitivity and discrimination are all user calibrations and have to be adjusted when working near sources of high electrical activity. About the only thing you cant adjust for *much* are thunder storms which can be considered broad spectrum interference.
VLF machines are much less susceptible to electrical interference than PI machines due to the principle operating characteristics of each technology.
There are not any myths~ just basic electronic and electrical facts.

If your having difficulty working near sources of electrical interference adjustments can help but will lead to degraded performance. In some cases different types of coils can cut down on interference.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm amused. Boiled down to the basics, a metal detector is nothing but an induction machine. When conductive materials are brought within the detectors field, phase shift and frequency offset in the inductors are the primary results. The innards, detect these changes, and report to the user in a variety of ways. They can be an analog, digital, or a combination. They all do a fairly good job at what they were designed for, with some consideration as to sophistication and therefore price. Just as important is what they aren't!

While they operate from audio to low radio spectrum frequencies, and are susceptible to nearby electrical fields, they're not lighting rods any more than a golf club is. When you're out in a flat field with no trees (ala golf course), it is best not to be there when there is lightning about!

Damageable by nearby sources of electromagnet devices? Probably not, unless the electromagnetic field is strong enough to zap your body like standing in front of a radar!

It is clear to me, that not too many of my fellow detectorists, really know what goes on inside their chosen detector? Maybe, there should be a discussion forum to propagate factual information therein, and not wive's tales.
I thought a question like that might catch the attention of a E.T.!Thanks for your intelligent answer.I will feel a little better now when a storm is a brewing.I am terrible with wire's, electronics in general.I pretty much just know how to use it.I wish I knew something about what is going on in the box, so I wouldn't have to ship it so far to get fixed when a problem arises!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All forms of electrical interference can affect VLF and PI metal detectors to some degree.

Your question as to whether it affects the calibration of a metal detector is a two fold answer. No it wont affect the internal circuitry. Yes it will affect your calibration~ ground balance, sensitivity and discrimination are all user calibrations and have to be adjusted when working near sources of high electrical activity. About the only thing you cant adjust for *much* are thunder storms which can be considered broad spectrum interference.
VLF machines are much less susceptible to electrical interference than PI machines due to the principle operating characteristics of each technology.
There are not any myths~ just basic electronic and electrical facts.

If your having difficulty working near sources of electrical interference adjustments can help but will lead to degraded performance. In some cases different types of coils can cut down on interference.
Thanks D!I just didn't want to ruin my machine around them.I am a poor man,my back up machine is out of commission right now, if something happens to this one ,life is gonna suck for awhile.Thank all you guys for the info!joe

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries DigIron2. Good luck and keep swinging.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, Alan Applegate is this sites tech man.
EMI can be quite frustrating, but not harmful.
Although, I glow?
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread