Can someone help me with this E Trac PLEASE!!

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend picked up his E-trac today, he's got it sold to a friend of his at work. $800 and he's throwing in the G pointer. Its all less than 3 months old. Played with the E-trac Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Dug lots of Aluminum and a few new pennies. Its too heavy for all day use. I had it set to 4 tones in stock coin mode, never got used to all the high signals and bouncing numbers. I hated the E-trac and glad its gone.

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-trac....
It's very heavy
Screen is hard to see
Recovery is worse than an Ace250
Expensive
Not as deep as a $400 Tesoro

Minelab should hire a Industrial Designer to work on the balance and ergonomics. Its like the Minelab engineers never test their completed products.

L

lost hunter

barberman said:
E-trac....
It's very heavy
Screen is hard to see
Expensive

Minelab should hire a Industrial Designer to work on the balance and ergonomics. Its like the Minelab engineers never test their completed products.

And yet we see lots of young ladies using the E-Trac with no problem

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
E-trac....
It's very heavy
Screen is hard to see
Expensive

With the exception of it being expensive, everything you listed is not factual but merely your opinion. Not to mention it is the opinion of someone who admitted to never learning how to actually use the machine.

Why go out of your way to bash Minelab and the E-trac in almost every post you made?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one more troll. I called it earlier, then he seemed to really want to learn it. In the end he gave up without ever giving it a chance.

Go back to your toy detector.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
E-trac....
It's very heavy - Yep, it's heavy. Most of my hunts start at 0800AM and end around 0600PM or sundown, about 8-10 hours of nearly continuous hunting. Don't use swingy-thingy and my arm isn't broken - no physical problems and I'm very careful to minimize effort used and avoid arm torque. It's heavy but it can be managed - and yes, I wish Minelab would lighten it up but until they do you have to swing it efficiently or it will hurt you.

Screen is hard to see - It can be at times in direct sunlight but it can be mitigated by adjusting position in relation to the sun. I've had similar problems with other LCD displays on other detectors so this is not just an E-Trac issue. It really isn't a problem.

Recovery is worse than an Ace250 - The Ace 250 is far worse (IMHO) to pinpoint than the E-trac and by a long shot. They both have their techniques that are unique to the unit. Once learned they are both easily pinpointed. This isn't really a problem either.

Expensive - yes it is, so if that is a problem buy something cheaper. The F75SE is light and cheaper (and very good) - perhaps better for you.

Not as deep as a $400 Tesoro - Really? Have you done much in-field depth comparisons under controlled circumstances? The E-Trac's strength is in its ability to maintain depth and TID in mod-heavy mineralized soil. It's still deep when others have lost their edge.

When I want to drive a nail into a board I use a hammer - the E-trac is that hammer. If I want to find small gold jewelry I put the hammer away and use a different tool better designed for that job. There is no perfect detector.

OP
OP
M

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
To all those with nothing more to complain about. The etrac is very heavy, screen is hard to see, bla bla bla, heck fire reach down between your legs and see if there's any balls there if not grab ur razor and go shave ur legs. We're drowning in all these tears. Lmbo

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-trac....
It's very heavy - Yep, it's heavy. Most of my hunts start at 0800AM and end around 0600PM or sundown, about 8-10 hours of nearly continuous hunting. Don't use swingy-thingy and my arm isn't broken - no physical problems and I'm very careful to minimize effort used and avoid arm torque. It's heavy but it can be managed - and yes, I wish Minelab would lighten it up but until they do you have to swing it efficiently or it will hurt you.

Screen is hard to see - It can be at times in direct sunlight but it can be mitigated by adjusting position in relation to the sun. I've had similar problems with other LCD displays on other detectors so this is not just an E-Trac issue. It really isn't a problem.

Recovery is worse than an Ace250 - The Ace 250 is far worse (IMHO) to pinpoint than the E-trac and by a long shot. They both have their techniques that are unique to the unit. Once learned they are both easily pinpointed. This isn't really a problem either.

Expensive - yes it is, so if that is a problem buy something cheaper. The F75SE is light and cheaper (and very good) - perhaps better for you.

Not as deep as a $400 Tesoro - Really? Have you done much in-field depth comparisons under controlled circumstances? The E-Trac's strength is in its ability to maintain depth and TID in mod-heavy mineralized soil. It's still deep when others have lost their edge.

When I want to drive a nail into a board I use a hammer - the E-trac is that hammer. If I want to find small gold jewelry I put the hammer away and use a different tool better designed for that job. There is no perfect detector.

Thanks for your response. Last night I studied the E-trac manual and played with the onscreen thing (no E-trac). I can start to see how the machine gives the user and abundance of information. Briefly, an Ace250 with the stock coil does suck, but my 5x8 DD coil is fantastic with respect to pinpointing, its like a laser beam! 53silver points out the similar depths of the E-trac and Vaquero. His field demonstrations are informative. From what all the reviews say the E-trac and the 3030 are the top dogs at coins and relics! I briefly had the 705 and found its screen and ergonomics very nice, wish the E-trac had the same screen. I am going to buy an E-trac, seems like they hold their value well. I'll buy it from Kellyco and not annoy Bart with a phone call every 18 minutes. Thanks, over and out.

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to learn all I can from the manual and the emulator before I buy. Can't seem to understand the difference between a user mode and discrimination, seems when I load one the other goes away. The emulator is a nice way to learn.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to learn all I can from the manual and the emulator before I buy. Can't seem to understand the difference between a user mode and discrimination, seems when I load one the other goes away. The emulator is a nice way to learn.

After sitting down and writing a long post explaining everything, I changed my mind. Sorry, I have offered you help in the past, but you have taken every opportunity to trash a detector you haven't even taken the time to learn, so you can figure it out on your own.

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I don't believe we discussed the user mode / discrimination thing. KellyCo said the Safari is more user friendly and might be better for me. Wish there was a minelab dealer close by. There is a Cabalea's minelab dealer in KC but I doubt they know much more than I do.

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
Most people have no trouble figuring it out because they WANT to learn it. If all you want to do is complain, then give it back to your friend and go hang out in the bounty hunter forum. Oh, you couldn't find a FRESHLY buried 10" dime? Guess what, none of them can. Time in ground makes a big difference. The guy in Wichita sounds a lot like you; Give it a couple days and give up.

If you want a single dial, turn on and dig detector then go buy a Tesoro Compadre. They are very nice machines. If you want to dig deep silver, mixed in the trash that everyone else has walked over then LEARN the E-Trac.

Frankly, I think you are just here to complain so I am done with responding to your posts.

Mxt 10" dd coil gain +2 mine can

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jackalope, nice and informative reply! It does take awhile to learn the etrac, I' had mine for a few months and was able to find deeper targets I had missed with my at pro, and OUCH on the 250 with bell tones!

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Bart probably is the best deal, and he's only 200 miles south of me. BUT I'd rather not burden him with my inexperience and annoying questions. He'd probably put a block on my number after the 27 phone call.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bugged him with 27 phone calls and now are NOT going to buy from him? You should be ashamed of yourself! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Bart probably is the best deal, and he's only 200 miles south of me. BUT I'd rather not burden him with my inexperience and annoying questions. He'd probably put a block on my number after the 27 phone call.

He is only 200 miles away and you didn't make a road trip.... I would have drove there to get my questions answered in person and had someone who knew the ETrac give me some hands on to show and explain what I didn't understand..... We are talking maybe $70 round trip in gas, probably less if by bus........

I would buy it from Bart, he will give you support if needed.........

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He says he wants to learn it, then turns around and bashes it. He did this several times. Then he said the gave the one back to his friend and was glad it's gone because he hated. Turns right around and says he is buying one.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lost hunter

Jason in Enid said:
He says he wants to learn it, then turns around and bashes it. He did this several times. Then he said the gave the one back to his friend and was glad it's gone because he hated. Turns right around and says he is buying one.

Sounds like he's smoking some good stuff. Or maybe he needs too

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bugged him with 27 phone calls and now are NOT going to buy from him? You should be ashamed of yourself! :laughing7:

No I've actually called Bart twice inquiring about the E-trac. Read my post closer.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread