Can someone help me with this E Trac PLEASE!!

L

lost hunter

barberman said:
Friend picked up his E-trac today, he's got it sold to a friend of his at work. $800 and he's throwing in the G pointer. Its all less than 3 months old. Played with the E-trac Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Dug lots of Aluminum and a few new pennies. Its too heavy for all day use. I had it set to 4 tones in stock coin mode, never got used to all the high signals and bouncing numbers. I hated the E-trac and glad its gone.

You don't like Minelab can't understand how to use the Etrac so why bother with posting lonely ?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. I wont say what I purchased in the Spring of this year. But it makes me look silly every change it gets. One thing I am learning is that there is things like other operating frequencies you can use. My detector also has two sides of settings to choose from. So my settings in Discriminating mode effects the setting in All Metal mode and visa versa.

Its real easy also to put my detector into a high gain mode which makes it very noisy. I have learned to ignore the chatter, and let it do its job. I dont know if the E Trac is noisy or not. It could very well be normal to be noisy. Sounds like what may be hurting you is items and iron in the soil. To keep this short. Even things like your cell phone may be effecting your detector.

So what I suggest, is make sure your not in high gain mode. Make sure you dont have conflicting settings. Make sure you have eliminated cell phone or a bad coil.

Last, try practicing in a non trashy area. If this does not solve your problem. Then its probably not you, its the machine. Good Luck.

L

lost hunter

Casca said:
I feel your pain. I wont say what I purchased in the Spring of this year. But it makes me look silly every change it gets. One thing I am learning is that there is things like other operating frequencies you can use. My detector also has two sides of settings to choose from. So my settings in Discriminating mode effects the setting in All Metal mode and visa versa.

Its real easy also to put my detector into a high gain mode which makes it very noisy. I have learned to ignore the chatter, and let it do its job. I dont know if the E Trac is noisy or not. It could very well be normal to be noisy. Sounds like what may be hurting you is items and iron in the soil. To keep this short. Even things like your cell phone may be effecting your detector.

So what I suggest, is make sure your not in high gain mode. Make sure you dont have conflicting settings. Make sure you have eliminated cell phone or a bad coil.

Last, try practicing in a non trashy area. If this does not solve your problem. Then its probably not you, its the machine. Good Luck.

Casca how do like the F75 ?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your machine is noisy, falsing, chattering, it's either adjusted wrong, faulty, or you're in the middle of some nasty EFI. Try a different location using the same settings. If it's still noisy, reduce the sensitivity and/or change frequencies if possible. If it squawks no matter what you do, you may have to send it in for repairs.

OP
OP
M

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
Here is my first silver boys. Guess I had the settings pretty close to good. All the writing on it is ledgible. 1901 quarter. What's this baby worth and how rare are they

Attachments

• image-131305054.jpg
    image-131305054.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 144

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooHoo!! That's a BEAUTIFUL Barber quarter! CAn't help you with the value at the moment, but if you do a google search for coin values ou should find a grading/pricing site.

Way to go!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my first silver boys. Guess I had the settings pretty close to good. All the writing on it is ledgible. 1901 quarter. What's this baby worth and how rare are they

Nice dig! Only gets better!

OP
OP
M

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
Sorry for not getting to do much posting. I've been tearing up jack trying to learn this thing. It's paying off. I done the cardboard test with different items and dug enough pop cans and pull tabs to fill a small warehouse lol. But I have found a lot of wheat pennies and nickels also. Got the modes and patterns to a t. Working through some issues I'm struggling with. One is the pinpointing sucks w this etrac. Also finding where to start digging the coin when I pick up the signal. From what I've learned say ur coming up on the coin, it seems I get a signal at the lil dip in the coil. Then when I pinpoint it goes to whatever target around has the strongest signal or whatever target is closest to the surface. Any advice on this. I think I'm missing targets sometimes.

L

lost hunter

Keep it up and enjoy the finds

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One is the pinpointing sucks w this etrac. Also finding where to start digging the coin when I pick up the signal. .

I can't explain why the pinpointing can be difficult, but I couldn't pinpoint worth crap when I started out with the E-Trac. I did everything exactly like the manual said. Then one day it just seemed to start working. I don't know what I did different, but it just started to make sense. When you watch the screen and get the strongest signal left to right, then front to back, the target should be directly under the coil center. If you start doing the "minelab wiggle" and backing up, when the signal stops, it's right in front of the coil. Another way to say that is that when you just start to get a response, the target is under the notch.

One thing I have found about the DD coil, is that angled target REALLY mess with pinpointing. This is where a pinpointer is almost a must. There have been many, many, good coin I have dug out of the side of a hole. Every single one was highly angled or on-edge. I can explain the reason why this happens, but that might get into info overload.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a Minelab wiggle guy myself... Jason explained it well!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works same way with excal and sov, locat target left to right, front to rear, slowly back coil off target, when target disappears it is right on tip of coil, either the toe or heel depending direction you went....

oldpropguy

Greenie
Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the entire thread here. I bought an E-Trac from Bart yesterday and cant wait to get it. It's my first detector (I should say 3rd) I had a Garrett it was 3X5 metal box with a speaker on top and two knobs, and a Whites something or other. It's been at least 35 years since I've swung a detector.
I want to thank "barberman" for complaining about the E-Trac.
NOW I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU THAT TRIED TO HELP HIM (it seems with no success) YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND WILLINGNESS TO HELP HAS GIVEN ME INSIGHT TO THE MACHINE.
I'm new to this forum, as a matter of fact i just joined yesterday. I know all your tips to "barberman" have helped me and I don't even have my detector yet!!!!
So thanks again for your help.
I'm looking forward to getting started and your help in the future.
Mike the "oldpropguy"

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
............ wiggle.gif click on the coil to see the minelab wiggle.......On the old tnet it would come up wiggleing but on the new tnet you have to click on the coil to see the wiggle.........WHY I DON'T Know??

Last edited:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
My latest find. 1853 1/4 and 1855 1/2 dollar gold coins. How bout dem apples. What about these are they rare

Attachments

• image-323381724.jpg
    image-323381724.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 177
  • image-509839060.jpg
    image-509839060.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 184

BGills

Dec 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for not getting to do much posting. I've been tearing up jack trying to learn this thing. It's paying off. I done the cardboard test with different items and dug enough pop cans and pull tabs to fill a small warehouse lol. But I have found a lot of wheat pennies and nickels also. Got the modes and patterns to a t. Working through some issues I'm struggling with. One is the pinpointing sucks w this etrac. Also finding where to start digging the coin when I pick up the signal. From what I've learned say ur coming up on the coin, it seems I get a signal at the lil dip in the coil. Then when I pinpoint it goes to whatever target around has the strongest signal or whatever target is closest to the surface. Any advice on this. I think I'm missing targets sometimes.

Unfortunately you are correct about the pinpoint mode with the e-trac, There is no masking when in pinpoint mode, and no way to enable it. The detector will simply grab the strongest signal, which is typically iron or aluminum. In trashy areas this can be extremely frustrating, and you're left digging every target in a 1Ft radius. One way around this problem is using a switchable in-line pinpoint probe, like the Sunray x-1, as it can be used like a small hand-held main-coil, allowing you to utilize the masking functions that you bought the e-trac for in the first place. A pin-pointer that ignores undesirable targets sure can save a lot of time and effort.
Your also correct about pinpointing while in masking mode. Using the notch in the double-D coil can get you about a 1-2 inch radius pinpoint area. Coming up on a target it will be at the notch in the front of the coil, and conversely backing into the target it will be centered at the rear notch.

Don't get me wrong, some people enjoy digging every target, and that's fine for them, but that kind of hunting just isn't for me.

Last edited:

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal, I have only had my e-trac for just a little over 6 months now. Before that I used only White's machines. From the XLT, DFX and MXT Pro. It took me time to get used to it. Just like you I hated it. Was frustrated. Them like everyone here before me has said, listen to the tones. I went in my back yard and planted everything from a penny to a gold ring. Listened to the tones and looked at the numbers. Long story short, with it in the last 4 months I have found 3 gold rings with it and over $100 a month in change not to mention silver rings and charms. To the tune of Swing Low - Swing slow sweet e-e trac-ac find me some gold today. Swing slow sweet e-e-trac-ac put some gold in my pouch. lol. Relax - it will come. HH GFP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread