Can someone Identify these?

kraken

Dec 9, 2006
Can anyone identify these oysters, they maybe a type of Texigryphaea, but they're just to big. They are over 3" and most I have found are about an 1" and not much more. They were found in the Lower Cretaceous just above a layer of Ilymatogyra arietina. Also they have a large beak at the start of their growth.

Attachments

• MVC-138F.JPG
    MVC-138F.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 463
  • MVC-139F.JPG
    MVC-139F.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 470
  • MVC-140F.JPG
    MVC-140F.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 471
  • MVC-141F.JPG
    MVC-141F.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 472
  • MVC-142F.JPG
    MVC-142F.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 466
OP
OP
kraken

kraken

Dec 9, 2006
Found out, it's Texigryphaea roemeri, seems they can look like anything. Maybe they just need a bow tie. ;D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
kraken said:
Found out, it's Texigryphaea roemeri, seems they can look like anything. Maybe they just need a bow tie. ;D

Chucks- 1 minute too late with the ID ;D ;D ;D ;D

I enjoyed your photos and an glad you got your fossil ID. I kind of doubted if a member
would come up with an ID as it most folks here at not experts. It would be a victory to just ID it as an oyster shell for most.

I am glad you have a passion for fossils(I do too).

Happy Hunting
George

OP
OP
kraken

kraken

Dec 9, 2006
I have found this type of oyster before, but they were in very sad shape, these I lucked out on because the Highway department is enlarging the road and cut through a hill. I went and asked them if it would be ok if i could look for fossils when they were not working. It rained everyday for almost a month. Being retired, I took advantage of it and was out there to get stuff rain or shine. In fact, I lost a pair of boots to the mud there. But I found some really good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread