Can someone tell me if PIs really have NO discrimination?

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Can someone tell me if PI's really have 'NO' discrimination?

I just bought a used White's Surf PI Pro. I'm told that it's deep but it has 'NO' discrimination at all. Is that true?

BTW, I'm experienced hunting land with VLF machines.

I don't mind it but I guess I should get ready to dig some bobby pins. Anyone have one that can comment?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Upvote 0

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Re: PI's have 'NO' discrimination?

My experience with a homebrew PI is that it has what you could call reverse discrimination. Its response to iron substantially exceeds its response to copper. But it's OK to use on a beach where I can use a sand scoop for discrimination.

Chip V.

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
Re: Can someone tell me if PI's really have 'NO' discrimination?

Jason, no discrimination on the pi you have. I have three of them, including the PI Pro and the Dual Field PI Pro. Strictly fresh water. If in doubt, dig it. Take the junk out and get the goodies beneath it. If it gets to be too much exercise, sell it and get a discriminating water machine. I wouldn't trade my PI"s.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can only speak for my Fisher Impulse and the answer is no. If Sandman is still around you can ask him. He would know. I'm of the old school anyway and still dig every hit.

Deepsix

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

deepsix47 said:
I can only speak for my Fisher Impulse and the answer is no. If Sandman is still around you can ask him. He would know. I'm of the old school anyway and still dig every hit.

Deepsix

i just got an Impulse today....any tips or suggestions?

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ

I have an SD2200d and the "d" stands for "discrimination". I don't use the feature for one simple reason . When you discriminate you give something up . The equal of what you don't want will slip through the cracks .Get rid of pop tops and you could lose a nickel . If you are on the beach , as has been already said , the sand scoop is the ultimate discriminator . It scoops up the target and you then know which part of the apron to place it in . I refer to my unit as "The Beast". I prospect mostly in the desert and try to get to areas that are difficult to travel to . This limits the junk factor . I do find some stuff left behind by early miners but this stuff is more history than junk . I was however , suprised to find a coo-coo clock counterweight in the middle of nowhere . The beach rocks and just as in the remote desert ..... DIG EVERY SIGNAL!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marty-Graw said:
deepsix47 said:

Deepsix

i just got an Impulse today....any tips or suggestions?

It's a great machine. Set the sensitivity at 3 bars and go for it. In the water or on the sand it's hard to beat and just that simple to use.

Deepsix

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

I've been using the White's PI Pro for years. It has No discrimination, and I wouldn't give it up. As of this writing I am at 42 pieces of gold on the year so far and counting. Good luck and don't worry about not having disc.. :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a Garrett Sea Hunter II and it had some discrimination but not very much. Monty

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is some discrimination on the Infinium but it is not the type that you will find on a VLF Machine.

I use the discrimination setting on the Infinium as a sensitivity adjustment which is actually what it is from everything I have read.

In salt water, I don't run into enough junk to worry about discrimination anyway. On shore is a different issue. I use a Minelab Sovereign to hunt the beach sand and the Infinium for the wet sand and water. It is a perfect combination. The Infinium does have a dual tone I.D. which could be considered a discriminator. One tone signals a possible gold target and the other tone signals possible silver. It is accurate in that regard. I ususally disregard Silver Tones and spend my time digging gold.

I have moved away from the salt water beaches now and I am in a fresh water environment altogether. I may consider buying a VLF Water Machine to hunt the fresh water here but I will keep my Infinium for visits back to the salt water beaches for sure.

IMO you cannot beat the Infinium for depth and simplicity in operation.

Good Luck,

DaChief

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread