Can someone with a Ryedale do me a favor?

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching through $50 in pennies with my Ryedale when I spotted a 1943 steel penny. I threw it in the Ryedale and it went in the zinc tray. I expected this to happen. But it got me wondering about Indian Head pennies. So I took a 1901 95% copper IH and threw it in the machine..... and to my suprise it ended up in the zinc bin. All 3 of my IH's ended up in the zinc bin >:( I thought copper pennies were separated from the zincs?? Is the IH so different from the Lincoln penny that the Ryedale thinks it's zinc? Or is my Ryedale defective? Or does this happen with all the Ryedale machines? Could someone test this for me please?

Upvote 0
I do a copper sort (keep copper and reject rest) then rerun the rejects. I do a zinc sort (keep zinc and reject rest) older wheat's, IH's and foreign end up in zinc rejects. The 1944-1958 wheat's end up in first copper pile I do a quick back search to pull them.

I thought the Ryedale was a turn on and go machine :-[ ::) I don't like the idea of changing the settings and re doing the pennies. Seems like a waste of time for me. I'm mainly using the machine to find the coppers and then search for wheats, but I'm thinking of saving some of the coppers for future use. I've got it set now where 98% of the zinc's go to one bin and all the IH's and the coppers go into the other bin, with the odd zinc ending up with the coppers. That's OK with me because I search the coppers for wheats. Seems like if I could change the speed of the feed it would be 100%.

Whyme said:
Or is my Ryedale defective? Or does this happen with all the Ryedale machines? Could someone test this for me please?
I am sure your machine is not defective. The electronics tries to match the coin you have inserted in the "reader." It is so sensitive it will reject copper coins that have a slightly different composition, like older wheats and indians.

I eyeball sort my cents as I open them. I was very lucky last Sunday. I found over 200 wheats the oldest was 1909 & several in the teens and 20's. Then I run them through my Ryedale without looking again for wheats.

cyberdan said:
Whyme said:
Or is my Ryedale defective? Or does this happen with all the Ryedale machines? Could someone test this for me please?
I am sure your machine is not defective. The electronics tries to match the coin you have inserted in the "reader." It is so sensitive it will reject copper coins that have a slightly different composition, like older wheats and indians.

I eyeball sort my cents as I open them. I was very lucky last Sunday. I found over 200 wheats the oldest was 1909 & several in the teens and 20's. Then I run them through my Ryedale without looking again for wheats.

Same here - It also helps you weed out the bent, gummy and corroded cents that screw the machine up. IH's jump out like a bright light- easy to spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back