Can the MXT still compete with modern detectors?

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The F22 is just $229 so yes the MXT would likely win that win that battle. I'm not sure about ID accuracy of the 2 in every type of ground. Sometimes the MXT could ID a small coin at 6" & sometimes failed at 4". I had an F70 and couldn't use more than a tiny fraction of the power, deepest coin 5 1/4". Also it gave off loud noises that IDed as coins but nothing was found. Another F70 owner said it could probably detect a hot rock at 10". The F70 is now the Teknetics Patriot at $399 with coupon. Says it detects coins to 11"-12".

White's did a video of air tests MXT 10.5" on quarter, MX5 11.5" on quarter, and MX Sport 12.5" on quarter, with a lot less noise. I'm guessing the MX Sport and AT Max might be very close in many soil types as the air tests aren't much different, In a few months, Minelab will be introducing the Equinox 600 for $649, another waterproof unit to compete with the AT Max and MX Sport.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it can if YOU are good with it. Most detector success depends on the operator as much as the machine.

OP
OP
T

TnDigger0083

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F22 is just $229 so yes the MXT would likely win that win that battle. I'm not sure about ID accuracy of the 2 in every type of ground. Sometimes the MXT could ID a small coin at 6" & sometimes failed at 4". I had an F70 and couldn't use more than a tiny fraction of the power, deepest coin 5 1/4". Also it gave off loud noises that IDed as coins but nothing was found. Another F70 owner said it could probably detect a hot rock at 10". The F70 is now the Teknetics Patriot at $399 with coupon. Says it detects coins to 11"-12".

White's did a video of air tests MXT 10.5" on quarter, MX5 11.5" on quarter, and MX Sport 12.5" on quarter, with a lot less noise. I'm guessing the MX Sport and AT Max might be very close in many soil types as the air tests aren't much different, In a few months, Minelab will be introducing the Equinox 600 for $649, another waterproof unit to compete with the AT Max and MX Sport.

I never really take ID in to consideration. I look for consistency in VDI # and target size.

OP
OP
T

TnDigger0083

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you're saying. One of the reasons I haven't "upgraded"...... yet
I

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't ever get rid of the MXT! Its technology is still a great one today. I had an MXT Pro and I am still kicking myself for selling it. If you have really mastered that MXT, there isn't anything currently in that price range that can beat it. I currently own an MX Sport and love it. Eventually, I plan to pick up another MXT Pro or a reasonably priced MXT to complement the Sport.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still as good as any other single frequency machine out there. Hits nice and hard on deep targets. Just not an optimal beach machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread