can you dig on non locatable ground ?

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are hiking in wilderness area and find a vein, Its not locatable ground (cant be claimed). This vein has gold you can see with eye glass.
its doubtfull it would produce any thing course, but it would be very capable of having fine gold pockets.
Is it legal to dig the site if you were just using hand tools.
If so how much is to much as in hole size

Or is it like rock collecting, you can dig pretty much any where ?

Cpt Herb

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cpt Herb,
Seems to me like you need to do a Google search on the laws for Wilderness Areas: State & Federal laws. You might want to bring in a hand powered drill and a couple of bits and attempt to remove a small sample of the "gold" to confirm it is gold. Just a thought..........63bkpkr

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cpt Herb,
Seems to me like you need to do a Google search on the laws for Wilderness Areas: State & Federal laws. You might want to bring in a hand powered drill and a couple of bits and attempt to remove a small sample of the "gold" to confirm it is gold. Just a thought..........63bkpkr

I think the less i know the better off i am law wise.
Ive sampled this bad boy and no doubt its gold i was just wondering if maybe someone might have a story of being harrassed for this.
i will keep ya posted on that vein
thanks
Cpt herb.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can do non-mechanized prospecting in a federal wilderness area. Since it is nonlocatable land, you won't have the opportunity or concerns about claims (unless a claim predates the creation of the wilderness area of course).

Mine it and recycle it!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then, Cpt. Herb it sounds to me like you have one dickens of an Adventure on your hands! I hope others here will chime in on their Knowledge of the laws, maybe Hefty 1 has some inputs as well, so you will have some laws with their identifying #'s given so you can personally verify them and then have copies with you "where ever you are". A lot of work can be done by hand and with a few hand tools and some good thinking so one does not tear themselves apart and I am serious about that!! Do not beat up your joints/body over this, ask Hoser John about his body, and yes of course those of us who have beaten ourselves up would still do it again but that is another story about personal insanity.

Good Success with/on Your Adventure...........63bkpkr/Herb

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but "locatable" refers to the minerals, not the land. Fed law says you can mine if you have "locatable minerals", which means you must be able to "dig for something" or not be allowed to dig. In other words, no fishing trips. Am I right? TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incidently, the MORE you know of the law, the better. The less knowledgable get burned! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cpt Herb,

Here it is, Herb. TTC

The General Mining Law of May 10, 1872, as amended (30 U.S.C. §§ 22-54 and §§ 611-615) is the major Federal law governing locatable minerals.
EDIT:
The General Mining Law of 1872, as amended, opened the public lands of the United States to mineral acquisition by the location and maintenance of mining claims. Mineral deposits subject to acquisition in this manner are generally referred to as “locatable minerals.” Locatable minerals include both metallic minerals (gold, silver, lead, copper, zinc, nickel, etc.), nonmetallic minerals (fluorspar, mica, certain limestones and gypsum, tantalum, heavy minerals in placer form, and gemstones) and certain uncommon variety minerals. It is very difficult to prepare a complete list of locatable minerals because the history of the law has resulted in a definition of minerals that includes economics.
Starting in 1873, the United States Department of the Interior (DOI) began defining locatable minerals as those minerals that are recognized as a mineral by the standard experts, are not subject to disposal under some other law, and make the land more valuable for mining purposes than for agriculture. Minerals normally locatable on lands acquired (purchased or received) under the Acquired Lands Act of 1947 by the United States or found on American Indian reservations are subject to lease only (43 CFR Group 3500). Therefore, it is easier for BLM to list the minerals that are not locatable because of the complexities listed previously.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So on land that is not locatable such as federal wilderness area, state/county/city owned land, private land, wild and scenic rivers, etc you may be able to prospect if the land owner allows it ( as the feds DO in wilderness areas and wild & scenic rivers...with restrictions of course) but you can't establish a federal mining claim on that site...makes it even more important to keep your fav spot secret!!

My personal favorite spots are on non-locatable lands owned by local parks & rec district...they allow non-motorized activities below the waterline of the waterways in "undeveloped" parkland only. Follow the rules n get the gold!!! Was out for 1.5 hours last Thursday and came home with 1/4 gram :D

Mine it and recycle it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread