Can you find Civil war relics in Wisconsin?

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There were no civil war battles fought in Wi, but soldiers were recruited housed and trained here and they could-did lose period items. Items were brought home after the war such as jackets and hats and used as barn coats if you will, kids played with them as well. i'm sure there might be a button or some other neat odds and ends floating around. as to searching for it that would be a crap shoot. Thats the beauty of this hobby you just never know what might be at the bottom of the next hole. Do some research maybe you could find were recruits were trained in an area near you and obtain permission to hunt the site. I'm not a hundred percent on this but it seems to me when Dan McCann delivered the eagle soon to be known as old abe the war eagle to soldiers, it seems to me they were stationed at eau claire i would have to do some more digging. I'm more into the logging history ghost towns and old home sites than military history. So i guess yes a person would have a chance at finding civil war "era" items here but i would call it slim chance with a bit of luck.

OP
OP
W

whitewolf578

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2015
Port Washington WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were no civil war battles fought in Wi, but soldiers were recruited housed and trained here and they could-did lose period items. Items were brought home after the war such as jackets and hats and used as barn coats if you will, kids played with them as well. i'm sure there might be a button or some other neat odds and ends floating around. as to searching for it that would be a crap shoot. Thats the beauty of this hobby you just never know what might be at the bottom of the next hole. Do some research maybe you could find were recruits were trained in an area near you and obtain permission to hunt the site. I'm not a hundred percent on this but it seems to me when Dan McCann delivered the eagle soon to be known as old abe the war eagle to soldiers, it seems to me they were stationed at eau claire i would have to do some more digging. I'm more into the logging history ghost towns and old home sites than military history. So i guess yes a person would have a chance at finding civil war "era" items here but i would call it slim chance with a bit of luck.

Thanks for the response, where are you in WI?

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the eau claire area

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are thinking....Why is a Canadian responding to this thread? :icon_scratch:

Well, it's to give you and anyone else outside of the civil war zone some hope.

This was my first one.....

P1060331.JPG

My second one.....

P1100102.JPG

Both were found in plowed fields but were 45 miles apart.

This was all from last year.....

P1130018 (640x633).jpg

and this was from the year before that.....

P1130017 (581x640).jpg

before I put them in my binders. I have more than double of what was posted put away. Lord knows how many three-ringers I've come across!
All of this was found in Manitoba....far, far, away from any action.
Keep swinging that coil and it will come!
Cheers,
Dave.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should find three ring bullets that was a co-mun fire arm at the time war or meat shots were fired.....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People are thinking....Why is a Canadian responding to this thread? :icon_scratch:

Well, it's to give you and anyone else outside of the civil war zone some hope.

This was my first one.....

View attachment 1121878

My second one.....

View attachment 1121879

Both were found in plowed fields but were 45 miles apart.

This was all from last year.....

View attachment 1121880

and this was from the year before that.....

View attachment 1121881

before I put them in my binders. I have more than double of what was posted put away. Lord knows how many three-ringers I've come across!
All of this was found in Manitoba....far, far, away from any action.
Keep swinging that coil and it will come!
Cheers,
Dave.

Very nice additions to the collection Dave, proof things are lost out of the box.

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some pretty amazing finds muddyhandz! Would be quite a rush to find stuff like that! I double checked in my book to make sure my facts checked out and old Abe was taken to eau Claire and a captain Perkins and his group of soldiers bought him before heading to war. Keep us posted how you do. I'm glad you asked this question it's given me a few ideas to look into in my area.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Also found in Canada
There have been accounts of Canadians fighting for both sides in the war, so I would think if you can find them here you can find them just about anywhere.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424379134.835942.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah.... My Great Great Grandfather didn't make it that far North....

They took all those Irish immigrants off the boats at New York and sent them down here and finally overwhelmed us by sheer numbers....

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found in Canada
There have been accounts of Canadians fighting for both sides in the war, so I would think if you can find them here you can find them just about anywhere.
View attachment 1121971

Nice one!
Yeah, I came across records in the archives showing as "enlisted in American civil war."
Apparently, when the buffalo hunt was slow, the Metis bison hunters (sharpshooters) joined the Union and saw action in the war.
Unfortunately, I don't think too many Canadians enlisted with the South and I may never find that confederate buckle I've been hoping for! :laughing7:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Nice one!
Yeah, I came across records in the archives showing as "enlisted in American civil war."
Apparently, when the buffalo hunt was slow, the Metis bison hunters (sharpshooters) joined the Union and saw action in the war.
Unfortunately, I don't think too many Canadians enlisted with the South and I may never find that confederate buckle I've been hoping for! :laughing7:
Many were sympathetic to the north, the majority were against slavery and involved in the Underground Railroad ; from what understand , any that joined the southern states were French Canadian, so confederate relics are still possible!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread