Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do a fair bit of research on the,"what is it"forum here at tnet and am a bit surprised by how many md'ers dont have a metals testing kit.for half the cost of a good pin pointer you can get a very complete puritest kit on amazon with stone,acids,scale,files,electronic diamond tester,loupe(10x).also get a nickle test at pharmacy,lead test pen at paint store.

go through your old junk finds and you may be surprised what you have.At a burned down old homesite I took all the slag home and tested the hard pieces....over 6 ounces of silver(always keep the slag and test).also its awful nice to know right away what you have found.

Not all items marked as gold are...a couple heartbreakers for me.But also some surprises.I found a gold colored ring,put it in my pouch but it felt too light to be gold.wasn't marked or mark worn off.got home and when I went to test it I noticed how thin the walls were...bam..18k.guess the surprises go both ways.

must have tool for a treasure hunter and pretty entertaining as well.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did that last winter. Discovered a bracelet I "thought" was junk was actually gold! Happy dance!

But this year haven't had time....I'm always shoveling.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around this time of year, I usually do a final sort of my non-coin finds from the previous year and decide what to keep and what to toss. More than once I have found a small piece of gold in the junk pile, usually earrings with tiny marks.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
001.JPG This is what i use to test for silver.I need to get a different acid solution for the gold,of course I don't find enough of it to really worry about.One of those diamond testers would be nice to have,I need to get one.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DI2, I believe I jinxed myself by buying a test kit and diamond tester...I only found one plain silver wedding band and it was clearly marked 925 all last year! Have yet to find anything to test the diamond tester on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions