May 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bunky - I don't think you read my entire post by only quoting this small portion of it
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bigheed

I do boxes in 6-8 minutes with this method and never miss a coin.

HH,
Bigheed

you dont need to date check but if you just use a razor and edge check you might miss a few like this.

Best way to open rolls is use a semi dull serrated knife like a cheap steak knife or a flathead screwdriver.

I line up 10 rolls at a time, slide it under the crimp and rip it towards you, the entire crimped end of the roll comes off nice and effortlessly......"it's all in the wrist"

Slice all 50 rolls

Push the roll out from the other crimped end allows you to see half of each coin making the silver much more obvious, you can also hear the "clink clank"

The fact is you do not need to date check, but you need to do more than edge check. That is why I push them all out so you can see the surface not just the edge. You can hear the silver when it slides out, I give them a little push with my hand to spread them out and expose half of the surface of each coin, you can also hear the silver on clad sound, I assure you. You can also hear the silver when you chuck it in the coinlock bag, I assure you of this also. When I was teaching my mother in law how to help I had to fish a couple out just on "ears" alone.

Experience, repetition, and consistency will train your ears and eyes to make CRHing easier. I do 100-200 boxes per month, I am quite confident that I do not miss a single coin with my method and I do not date check. I've found all types of 40% this way, painted, nail polished, blackened, marked, etc. Give it a try!

HH,
Bigheed

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
Bigheed said:
Bunky - I don't think you read my entire post by only quoting this small portion of it

The fact is you do not need to date check, but you need to do more than edge check. That is why I push them all out so you can see the surface not just the edge. You can hear the silver when it slides out, I give them a little push with my hand to spread them out and expose half of the surface of each coin, you can also hear the silver on clad sound, I assure you. You can also hear the silver when you chuck it in the coinlock bag, I assure you of this also. When I was teaching my mother in law how to help I had to fish a couple out just on "ears" alone.

Experience, repetition, and consistency will train your ears and eyes to make CRHing easier. I do 100-200 boxes per month, I am quite confident that I do not miss a single coin with my method and I do not date check. I've found all types of 40% this way, painted, nail polished, blackened, marked, etc. Give it a try!

HH,
Bigheed

100 - 200 BOXES per month!!!!!! World Trade Federation!! What is the max number of boxes your banks are selling you at once?

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do 6-12 boxes per day, average pickup is 4-6 boxes per branch, usually I hit 2-3 banks per day after work and 2 dumps during my lunch hour.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What this proves most is that if you are edge searching, the light you use is very important.

Keep on Rollin' !

I second this!

I find a mix of fluorescent and incandescent is what works best for me. I have one of those lamps with the five different arms coming off the top, each with it's own bulb. I have three of those fluorescent bulbs and two incandescent bulbs, makes for a bright light but not too intensely white that it washes out the coins.

I guess we could say these threads help train our eyes a little...

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigheed said:
you dont need to date check but if you just use a razor and edge check you might miss a few like this.

Best way to open rolls is use a semi dull serrated knife like a cheap steak knife or a flathead screwdriver.

I line up 10 rolls at a time, slide it under the crimp and rip it towards you, the entire crimped end of the roll comes off nice and effortlessly......"it's all in the wrist"

Slice all 50 rolls

Push the roll out from the other crimped end allows you to see half of each coin making the silver much more obvious, you can also hear the "clink clank"

HH,
Bigheed

Really? 6-8 minutes? I've just recently found a source for boxes and after doing 4 I realized I need to speed things up but I think it would take me at least that long to pre slice the rolls. Much less check them. Also my bank lets me dump in coin lok bags so I like to stack all the coins up so I am sure of the count. How do you check your count? Do you do dimes? If so do you use a similar method?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread