Can You Guys Help Reccomend A MD For Me?

Lucid_Lunatic

Greenie
Nov 7, 2008
Holly Pond
Detector(s) used
Nose
I'm planning on buying a detector but have no idea where to start. I am not looking for anything super expensive, but I do want something that is better than a beginners model. I will be using it mostly for coins, silver and gold hunting. Maybe some relic hunting too. I would like something that I could put an underwater coil on for searching swimming holes around the river.

Thanks in advance!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend something that's kind of "Turn on and Go" for ANY beginner. Garrett Ace250, Minelab Sovereign, Minelab XTerra30, etc. The Ace250 is definitely the winner in the under $200 category. More money will get you more detector, but if you learn hot to understand everything the Ace tells you, and it doesn't do exactly what you want, THEN look at something more expensive (and less user friendly).

Best-Mike

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Gollum's right, the Ace 250 would be my first choice also. It's a good all around detector and it's NOT a toy!
Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Desertfox

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For gold and coins, jewelry I would look into the MXT by White's.
Or the X-Terra 70 by Minelab

Both should do fairly well for your kind of hunting I hear.
Except you have to keep the control box dry. (and display)

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say there right the Ace 250 would be a good choice. Also the Tesoro Silver Umax would be tops as well as the Ciloba but it cost more.

If you and Chefman wants to hunt sometime soon, I have several you can try out including the Ace 250 just to see which one you want. Also we could get together and take a ride to the big MD store Southern Treasures in Tuscaloosa.

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO
LL, I maybe wrong but somebody will correct me, most coils are already waterproof, its the box that needs to be protected. Getting an underwater detector can run into some money. I have detected some shoreline with my ACE 250 w/ standard 6x9 coil and it still functions fine.

OP
OP
Lucid_Lunatic

Lucid_Lunatic

Greenie
Nov 7, 2008
Holly Pond
Detector(s) used
Nose
Thanks for the info so far guys! I found a Bounty Hunter Lone Star today in a pawnshop for $100. I Googled a few things on it, but got really mixed reviews. About half said it was a great detector for the money, while the other half said it was a beginners piece of junk that couldn't descriminate between coins and pull tabs. Being on disability, I am goin to have to stay on the cheaper side of things. I was hoping to find something used in the $200 range. If any of you have tried the Lone Star and think it would be a good buy and something pretty good to get started with, then please let me know.

Kevenater

Jan 10, 2007
Cullman, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The ace 250 is one of the lightest ones you can buy so you should be able to swing it without any problems. They are $212. Quite a few people put down their $500.00 detectors and use it mostly. I'm not familiar with the Lone Star, sorry. There's a write up on another forum on how to make the Ace into a water hunter for pretty cheap. If you decide to buy something new let me know before you do!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread