Pre-CW Mill Site

Lucid_Lunatic

Greenie
Nov 7, 2008
Holly Pond
Detector(s) used
Nose
I have found a couple of old mill sites, one of which being built and used from the 1830's til the turn of the century. I have a good feeling about this site, as it is located on an old main road through the state dating back to the 1830's on historic maps. The site also is just north of what is marked on an 1840's map as a toll road to Blountsville. The old mill dam is still intact. It's about 3 miles or so off any public road and no real trails leading to it, so I don't think it's been hunted.

If someone has an extra metal detector, I could take you. Just hit me with a PM. I'm in the Holly Pond/ Blountsville area.

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO
I sure wish I had an extra detector. Hope you come up with something and be sure to post pictures. We're crazy about pictures around here. Welcome LL

OP
OP
Lucid_Lunatic

Lucid_Lunatic

Greenie
Nov 7, 2008
Holly Pond
Detector(s) used
Nose
I went down there today for a few hours and just scouted the area. It looks really good! I had known of this mill because my Great Great Uncle was the man who built it and my grandfather had told me about the old mill. I had actually went to it around 10 years ago just to see it, but found out that from that side, I was crossing private property and the landowner was less than curteous, if you catch my drift. I had thought about this site for the last few years. I finally got on google earth and started searching for a "back" way in since he didn't own the land it was on. I found an old road that dead ended at a house about 3 miles upstream from the mill site. I talked to my dad, and it turns out that the man living there was my grandpas mothers sisters son. My dad knew his son, so I decided to go talk to him today. He told me about a 4-wheel drive trail on the back side of his property that his son uses to deer hunt and said it ran alongside the old Federal road and crossed the creek just below the mill site. Couldn't get much easier than that!!!

I spent about an hour learning some history of the mill. He was born in 1913 on the same spot he still lives. He's 95, but still sharp as a tack about details. He said the mill was still operating when he was 7 and burned in 1920. After it burned, my kin still owned it and he said they ended up falling in below the dam and drown. After that it stayed dormant til 1931 when 2 brothers bought it and rebuilt the mill and added to the old dam structure. He said this was a front to make moonshine in the area and they hired him when he was 18 to keep a lookout for them. He said up from the millsite there was a large feild going to the edge of the mountain. The feild was covered in kudzu and they decided it would be best to operate 6 small stills and hide them in the kudzu thickets. He said he got up and went to the woods on the side of the mountain and acted as though he were squirrel hunting. He said as the sun came up, all 6 still could be seen from the mountain where the kudzu had turned brown all around the stills from the smoke killing them through the night. I really got a kick out of this story for some reason. He thought it was pretty funny too how they "outsmarted" thierselves on hiding them.

On another note, I walked up from the mill about a half mile to a place my grandpa had told me about. He said at one time, it was a Cherokee village, and later used to coral horses for the confederacy during the civil war and a base camp. It's definately seen some use in the past, it reminded me of a minuature Horse Pens 40. Large limestone outcroppings on top of a hill over the creek around 30 to 40 foot tall and arranged naturally like large pillars, with a larger area in the center of about an acre of this, protected on all sides. It's a great looking place!

We were able to find the old Federal Warrenton -Brooksville road in the woods. It's depressed deeply into the ground and in a few spots is worn down to solid rock. Lots of history through here, as until 1831, Brooksville crossing was the last outpost before you crossed into the Cherokee land.

I didn't take a camera, but I will next trip and post the pics for you guys!

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool beans, that sound great. I have an extra one you could use. Let's Go! It would have to be on a Sunday for me though.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lucid_Lunatic

Lucid_Lunatic

Greenie
Nov 7, 2008
Holly Pond
Detector(s) used
Nose
Sounds good Tim! I was planning on digging the bluffs this week for arrowheads and artifacts, but it looks as though it's going to rain Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so I may hold off til next week to start. I went ahead and built a couple of large sifter boxes this weekend for the dig. Down from the bluffs and rocks is the mill site. There is a large flat spot at the old ford of the creek beside the mill and this is where I would like to try a detector. I may be wrong, but a spot with over 100 years of commerce and a main road crossing there, I think something had to be dropped or lost over the years from travelers.

I'm planning on focusing my efforts towards fishing Friday since it's the full moon and warming back up after the rain, so I will most likely have the boat at Ingram Lake from around noon til midnight. So far that's the only real plans I have this week, so maybe if the weather is nice enough and nothing comes up, we can hit the mill site Sunday.

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Lucid, you might want to check out a copy of the book "The Federal Road through Georgia, the Creek Nation and Alabama, 1806-1836". It has a lot of good info on the old Federal Road.

Also, great guitars. I ran Peavey Electronics manufacturing for many years. I built a ton of Wolfgangs, Limited's, Cropper Classics and Predators.

Keep us posted.

MichaelB

OP
OP
Lucid_Lunatic

Lucid_Lunatic

Greenie
Nov 7, 2008
Holly Pond
Detector(s) used
Nose
MichaelB said:
Lucid, you might want to check out a copy of the book "The Federal Road through Georgia, the Creek Nation and Alabama, 1806-1836". It has a lot of good info on the old Federal Road.

Also, great guitars. I ran Peavey Electronics manufacturing for many years. I built a ton of Wolfgangs, Limited's, Cropper Classics and Predators.

Keep us posted.

MichaelB

That's pretty cool about Peavey. My grandpa made mandolins for Gibson. I mostly play Gibson Les Pauls through Marshall Amps, but I do own an ld 72 model Peavey Mace stack.

I'll see what I can find on that book, Thanks!

Kevenater

Jan 10, 2007
Cullman, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Dang that's an AWESOME story!! That's the kind of history I like to hear. The old moonshine stories and such! Sure wish I had an extra detector.......I'd probably actually be more interested in the Indian artifacts though. If you need somebody to help you with the fishing AND/OR detecting or digging Indian stuff let me know. I'm off friday and sat. I've got permission to put in about half way down the lake also if your boats not too awfully big and it's too muddy to get to the water at the ramp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions