Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trikikiwi said:
Good evening Don Jose :icon_thumleft:
Thank you for that information and the link.
There certainly are a lot of 'ifs and buts' involved in the oil extraction business! :o

Iron Patch said:
By the way... wasn't there a recent Spill just off the coast of Australia that took many months to stop? Why did they not fix that one? These two fellows I mean.

and IP - Don Jose's link threw up this information which I suspect is what you were talking about :icon_thumleft:
http://anz.theoildrum.com/node/6628

I apologise for mistaking disasters, previously :crybaby2:

I think this excerpt from the article explains why we Kiwis didn't solve the crisis.
Given how much outrage the BP spill has caused in the United States, it's remarkable that after the first few days, the Montara oil spill was largely ignored by everyone in Australia and was probably never heard of in most parts of the world.

What else don't we know about?

Mike

Even while that spill was happening new wells were still being approved. It was business as usual, and I seen an interview with "the decider" and his only concerned was with moving on. Basically mistakes happen... what can you do.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
traderoftreasure said:
i guess another option is to go down and add open ended pipes together till you hit the surface

Screw idea would probably blow the thing apart... and conneting pipes would probably take much longer than the relief wells.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Your not going to push agienst 13000 psi easily, at what 12 Inches diameter,, maybe more.?
I have had to push a 1/2 fitting into a 200 psi hole its no easy task.

A plug would be impossible and a open pipe with a valve to turn off once secured,, not alot easier.
Especially form 1 mile deep with robots.

Good luck stuffing anything down that pipe.

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
TEXAN Connection said:
Your not going to push agienst 13000 psi easily, at what 12 Inches diameter,, maybe more.?
I have had to push a 1/2 fitting into a 200 psi hole its no easy task.

A plug would be impossible and a open pipe with a valve to turn off once secured,, not alot easier.
Especially form 1 mile deep with robots.

Good luck stuffing anything down that pipe.
21 inches in diam.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
21" diameter at at least 13000 psi per square inch.. I don't know if folks Know what kind of pressure were talking about here. and once its plugged,,, The pressure goes up,, not compressable vapor or gas mind you,, Non compressable liquid.

I don't believe anythings going to get stuffed down that pipe, even a open pipe with a valve on it..

Maybe Shoot a self lodging projectile plug down it...

But then theres the rumors about its not just the pipe,, Its possibly leaking around the outside of the casing, and maybe the surrounding ocean floor bed.. coming up through the floor bed all over the area.

OP
OP
trikikiwi

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand, I thought "they" had tried blocking the flow with all sorts of garbage (talk about grasping at straws ::) ).
It was reported to be ineffective but I haven't seen any comment stating that they couldn't insert the garbage in the pipe due to the exiting pressure.

The next tactic is going to be something they call a junk shot. They're actually going to take a bunch of debris, shredded up tires, golf balls and things like that and under very high pressure shoot it into the preventer itself and see if they can clog it up and stop the leak.
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/05/bp-proposes-plugging-the-oil-leak-with-garbage.php

Other reports say they have already inserted a smaller diameter pipe into the pipe and have collected some oil from that - so I wouldn't write off any proposal that calls for inserting "something" into the pipe.

Earlier in the weekend, a similar attempt to insert a tube into the leak was unsuccessful. But now, according a report from the AP, the most recent attempt to place the tube worked, and now at least some of the oil is being contained--though the problem is still far from resolved
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/05/gulf-oil-leak-now-partially-contained.php

Mike

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
I dont belive its just the pipe leaking,, There are other threads on this, with links. It appears the whole area is unstable, there may be multiple unreported leaks.

Dont get me wrong Id love to see them plug this hole.. But im not sure thats all there is to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread